Ho alt or Batts??

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by tepa13kreeper, Apr 5, 2010.

1. tepa13kreeper

tepa13kreeper Full Member

Ok im in a budget. and want to run 2500 rms in my car so my ? is should i buy a HO alt or should i just get 2 batterys ??

i was thinking a kinetik 1800 up front and a C&D 490 in the back:confused:

2. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

I got a yellow top I don't need.

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

how big is your alternator? i would probably go with the batts first.

4. tepa13kreeper

i think its 80.what do you think of the batterys i want to run?will that work?

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I think I would choose the alternator first, esp if yours only puts out 80 amps. Adding another battery will just add something else that needs to be charged.

6. oldsch00lf00l

oldsch00lf00l Full Member

Ouch, the OP has a double edged whammy. First he has the small Honda alternator and next he has Honda's Electrical Load Detector (ELD for short). The ELD has high and low output modes and generally only reads current draw through the fusebox while things connected to the battery are not seen by it.

In high output mode, life is great, and one will get charging voltages in the 14.x range. In low output mode, life is horrible and the ECU will reduce the alternator's charging voltage to some point between 12.5 and 12.7 volts. For a more, in depth understanding, you can read about it here: http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=auto_pres

Thanks to the ELD, I managed to suck the battery dry while driving around in my 1997 Civic EX coupe. Now, my ODB1 ECU doesn't even know what an ELD is.

7. tepa13kreeper

How did you get rid of the eld?

8. tepa13kreeper

Will Driving with head lights on fix it ?

or do i need a OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion Harness and a obd1?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i have a friend with a neon that has 6 or 7 batts in his car. i cant remember if he added new ones or not.

anyways he has a stock alt in his. as long as the batts are new and fully charged you shouldnt have a tough time keeping then topped off while driving, but i also believe he has a charger to top them off before big shows.

he has never had voltage issues that i know of either.

10. tepa13kreeper

well i bought a DC Power 230a xp alt but now im broke lol should i be ok if i run my sound system on stock batt till i get money for a new one?i will be running 2400 rms one amp is a mojo 2000d and the other is orion 4004

11. tepa13kreeper

also how would both audioque 10s sound on a box tunned to 35hz ?

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

AQ subs liked to be tuned a little high.. they are the most comfortable at 38hz. even tuned that high they dig really deep.

If you go with the AQ subs, you can contact the owner, his name is DJ and give him your max measurements for a box and what kind of car it's going into and he will give you the measurements you need to make a box... he's a good guy and always willing to help..

13. tepa13kreeper

yeah gave me the measurements and told me to tune to 37 but the last box i build was not good at all i had alot of air leaks :eek: so im not trying to build a box lol and to get one build its alot of $$$ and im broke lol

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

air leaks? what was the cause of the air leaks? did you use silicone caulk? I'm not that handy either with building but i had no problem building boxes... cuts can be done at lowes so actually the assembly of the box would be your only problem.. use a lot of wood glue and once the box is together before you putt the top on the box, line it with caulking. pretty simple. Oh, and use A LOT of screws. one screw for about every 2 inches.

practice makes perfect. :)

15. tepa13kreeper

ok i guess ill give it one more try lol this is how dj told me to build the box

Build the box:

30" wide 25"deep (25.75" if the baffle is doubled) 12" tall

Fire the subs and port to the rear
    Use either end panel of the box for the outer port wall

Make the port 4.5" wide, 10.5" tall and 20" deep measured from the outside face of the box.

Box will be approx 3 cubes net tuned to approx 38hz
    Hope this helps
    Thanks,
    Jay
    AQ

i tried to put the measurements on re box calculator but i think im doing something wrong if you could help me find out what im doing wrong

16. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i just put it up on the RE calculator so you'll know what the cuts and the box would look like.

Note: the RE calculator isn't spot on so that's why you can see that it's not exactly what DJ said.

I would also do some double baffle in the like DJ said.

Attached Files:

17. tepa13kreeper

Thanks CC but i cant see the cuts lol , so if i do it like that it will be tunned to 38?

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

bottom plate : 30" x 25"
    box top plate : 30" x 25"
    box left plate: 24.25 x 10.5 x 24.25 x10.5
    box right plate: 23.5 x 10.5 x 23.5 x10.5
    box back plate: 30.00 x 10.5
    box front plate: 24.75 x 10.5
    port L1: 19.25 x 10.5 x 19.25 x 10.5

well, it's not 38hz but DJ does know what's good for his subs. the RE calculator says 34hz BUT the port L1 length wasn't correct. so if DJ says about 37hz then i'd figure it would be around 36 to 37 hz with the correction that the Re callculator messed up with. lol. I would trust what DJ says... the RE calculator is good for getting the box cuts.

you may want to double baffle the front. just make two front plates then you can just add .75 to the length of both left and right plates so the double baffle will fit flush.

19. tepa13kreeper

thanks CC

so what do u guys think of my electrical?

well i bought a DC Power 230a xp alt but now im broke lol should i be ok if i run my sound system on stock batt till i get money for a new one?i will be running 2400 rms one amp is a mojo 2000d and the other is orion 4004

20. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Well, personally i think it's a bit lacking for the amount of power you'll be running.

with that, i would suggest you check your cars voltage when you have the system in. set the gains properly, then test it out, if your voltage drops below 12.4V then i would back off on the gain til you get good enough voltage so you won't mess up your car and the system. Then once you get enough dough to get an extra batt then you can put your gains back at the proper level.