Help with my JL AUDIO System??

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by steveo898, Jul 3, 2012.

1. steveo898

steveo898 Member

I have just bought a JL audio system for my car (Nissan Pulsar 2001 sedan)

This is what I got installed:
    *JL C2600 splits (front)
    *JL C2600 (back)
    *JL Audio JL CP212-W0v2 - Twin 12" Subs
    *JL XD400/4 (for the speakers)
    *JL XD600/1(For the Subs)
    *JVC KR926bt (Head unit)

The person who originally installed the equipment did a horrible job, so the company I bought it from got another installer to fix it all up & it is ment to be all fixed and ready to go.

One problem though, the last installer removed the protective plastic cover(inside the front door) to stop water dripping on the speakers & he also used MDF spacers with out putting a protective coating on them such as resin to stop them getting damaged from air moisture/water, so when the new installer had a look at the spacers he said they are ruined.

So what do guys suggest to do? should i get a baffle(plastic bucket) and put it behind the speakers to protect them from water? & should I just purchase new MDF spacers and spray them with a coat of water resistant protection?

Also here are some pictures of the current settings the installer set the amps to, he said he wanted to juice the speakers more from the amp then the head unit, the volume on the head unit goes to level 50 but with the power from the amp it goes really loud just at level 22, you can hear a quite hissing as well if the speakers dont have music playing (tell me what you think?): speaker amp 3.jpg speaker amp 2.jpg speaker amp.jpg

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

As far as protecting the speakers a set of XTC Speaker Baffles should do the job well. The MDF only needs to be painted with any decent paint or primer.

You have hiss because the amp is improperly adjusted. The gain is turned up to high. When we set the gain the radio volume should be at about 3/4 volume, bass adjustment at 0, treble at 0, loudness OFF, you get the idea. Then adjust the amp.

3. steveo898

steveo898 Member

Cheers for the help mate, I'm not very in the know of what to do when it comes to tuning (trying to learn though) so would say just turn the down the input sensetivity knob(thats the gain yeah?) a little bit? and should that make it better? also can you damage speakers if you turn down the bass real low on the head unit equalizer? I just prefer getting my bass through the subs and leaving the speakers more high on treble and less punchy mid bass.

thanks!

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

We only need to turn down the bass and treble while amp adjustments are being made. After the amp adjustments are made, then we can make any adjustments to the Radio we need to satisfy our personal taste.

5. steveo898

steveo898 Member

Okay I am really starting to regret ever buying a sound system!

The speakers sound clear but its like you can hear a really faint crackle or little scratchy noise at some higher frequencies? its only at some at certain high frequencies in songs.
    I know this sounds picky but it drives me nuts! I just want clear speakers that play with no bs.

Could this be a ground issue? or perhaps poor wire connection?

6. steveo898

steveo898 Member

Think the problem might be the ground being installed faulty? the speakers make a random tick/click/pop type of noise very faintly at random times through out a song.

I don't believe the speakers are damaged because all of them do it.

Do you guys reckon I should ring up head office & ask for a refund of my $450 that I had to pay for the install?

Because even though they have been willing to get other installers to help me, I have had to take a total of 5 days off work now and the install is still not correct! I have literally had to have spent hours on forums and learning how to tune car audio my self to get things near being correct, Very frustrating and disappointed about the whole situation.

On the plus side though I have learnt a lot about car audio & I am more trying to see it as a hobby then a stressful situation!

7. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Whatever became of this? Was the problem solved?