Help Upgrading Me 1st System(Newer)

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by footsteps951, Jul 29, 2007.

1. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

I just made this to update my last post so it would be easier to understand an more convenient with multiple pages on the last post.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well i bought my first system about a month ago and didn't know all tht much about wattage and etc.
    but now i understand everything pretty good but i have
    12" performance teknique dual voice coil,4 ohms per coil.500 rms sub in ported box(actually hits pretty good)
    250 rms 2 channel directed amp

is it a bad idea for me to buy a 500 rms amp to push my sub? bad idea to push it fully?

but if that is not a bad idea i will just try to sell my amp and put it towards the new one.(what would a good amp for around $150 500 rms be)

if it is bad to push the sub fully i was planning on goin back to where i purchased my system and try to just get another p.t. sub in exchange and buy about a 800 rms amp(planning to get the power acoustik 1920 watt 2 channel)

and i get confused about having either 2 or 4 ohm's? whats the difference,which do i know to go by?

And what is the "gain" setting on the amp,i keep hearing issues about it but not sure what it is

please help me out.oh and if this help i have '97 camry.
    thank you
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedback from others:
    Person 1)Keep my current amp to hook up to my speakers and buy Profile HA1000 2 channel amp 480 watts RMS amp.
    Person 2)My sub is cheap brand which overrated the sub and it is really around 400 rms(???) so buy a 350rms amp and use that(if that is true then i would use my plan of trading in my amp for another sub and then buying another amp around 800 watts rms to push both.

Anybody else please let me know

2. danracer

danracer Full Member

well you should actually go with azn's because since that is a mono amp it is safe at 2 ohms and you can wire the sub in parallel making the total impedance 2 ohms. because most 2 channel amps when you bridge them they ask for a min. load of 4 ohms and if you give it lower than what it asks it will go into protection mode and it stops playing the music untill you turn off and on the radio and its not a good feeling when the subs stop playing unexpectedly.

3. danracer

danracer Full Member

and is your amp the directed xtreme xa-5001

4. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

well im sort of confused now
    should i just buy a mono amp around 450 rms or so?

but no i have the directed A502

5. danracer

danracer Full Member

well yeah sort of...you should actually go with tha profile ha-700m one because it is cheap, has a good output power, runs good on 2 ohms meaning you can wire the sub in stereo.

6. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

oh okay.well the only problem is that, that amp is only 100 more than i have now and i dont know if its worth it
    what about the BOSS GT1000M $80 400rms

oh and another thing
    would it be worth gettin like a 500rms amp and then maybe just using the dB switch thing to turn it down if needed?

7. danracer

danracer Full Member

well i havnt had any experience with any boss amp before so i cant tell you how good are they or how efficient.

8. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

oh okay..well i appreciate everything else very much.the only reason i say this one is becuase i saw some reviews on sonicelectronix(which is where i think i might buy it from,and if your not too busy if you could maybe look at the specs on that site and tell me what you think)

well besides that im hoping that the difference between 400 and 250 is a nice one.do you think it will hit nicely

oh and one last thing can i use a 2 channel amp for my indoor speakers(like each set per channel?) so then i could use your idea and just use the amp i got now.well i still have stock speakers but im planning on changing them next month

9. danracer

danracer Full Member

no prob. ... well it ill definitely sound a lot louder but youll have to be carefull not to blow the speaker by pumping excess power...and yeah thats what you can do with the speakers, 2 per channel(thats what i did on mine) but dont hook it up until you get rid of the factory speakers cuz youll blow them fast. by the way hat power wire are you using?

10. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

ya,well thats why im saying 400 only since i dont want to use too much,and if anything i still have like 11 months left under warranty,so i always can lower the bass if i get a replacement.
    but ya,i think im just going to keep my current amp on the side until i get the replacements
    but im not sure,is there a way to tell.everything was installed at the shop

oh and of the boss doesnt like hit like im hoping theres really no downfall in my opinion because i was going to have to buy an amp sooner or later for the in-doors but now i will already have one

11. danracer

danracer Full Member

is there anyway to tell what?

12. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

the power wire

13. danracer

danracer Full Member

ohh....well the power wire should have it written on it, but if it doesnt its not that easy to tell.

14. danracer

danracer Full Member

and by the way the Boss amp looks good, it has a nice output, and a great price,do u have a pre-amp? or do u use the HU to control the sub's volume?

15. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if i may............i know boss has been around for quite some time,but.......they arent known for thier quality.

thier cheap for a reason.

i mostly see them at flea markets and pawn shops.

you can get better.unless price is an issue....?

how much can you speand on and amp/s.?

also amping your stock speakers can work.just make sure you dont overpower them.like dan said.and that you cross them over so they dont try to play too much bass.

you'll be suprised how much better a stock speaker can sound with a few dozen more watts going to it.

BTW what car is all this going in?

16. footsteps951

footsteps951 Full Member

dan-well the thing is my h.u. has a sub adjuster but i can only use it if my back 6X9's are hooked up.it kinda weird but its the setting thats on there(unless the hook-up was wrong) but whats a pre-amp? is that one of those thigns that you can sort of stick in the amp and use the knob to adjust??oh and i couldnt see anything on the wires..the ground and battery power wires are pretty thick,and one of my friends who is pretty familiar with systems said the size is good.but im not sure what actual size it is becuase im parked in a garage and its pretty late right now so its hard to see

pedro-any advice is apprecaited.thanx.well ummm im lookin around $100 or so for a one channel at 2 ohms around 400rms..small budget though.but ummm.do you think my current directed A502 amp would work for my stock

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Boss sucks balls...that 400 watt rms amp realistically puts out 50-100 watts

18. danracer

danracer Full Member

a pre amp is an equalizer, you conect the amps there instead of in the HU, and you can control both the speaker and the sub

19. pedro quiroga

wow only 100......ok...ok....i know the ebay always has a Phoenix Gold amp for sale for 49.00 not including shipping.

let me look around and i'll find you strongest 1 ch for you budget.could you spead a little more if you had too?

like 30 more?

20. pedro quiroga