Headunit and Amp Confusion

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by CarAudioNub, Apr 3, 2012.

1. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

Okay, so I have this headunit: Kenwood KDC-248U (http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KDC248U/Kenwood-KDC-248U.html?tp=5684) and I have 2 10 pioneer subs connected to an amp. The amp is connected to the 2 preamp outlets in the headunit.

I want to add another amp for my headunit, but as i did some research, i came across headunits that have subamps. Mind you, I'm trying to be cost efficient and until much later upgrades, I don't want to upgrade my headunit.

Back to the point. My 10s work perfectly fine off of these preamps, but I don't know how I am supposed to use a y adapter or anything to add the other amp to my headunit.

So, how do I do this? And one more thing, if I move to infinity 12s (one of the upper infinity grades, friend is selling his as he got in trouble and his parents are forcing him to sell them cheap LOL), could i still run these more powerful subs off of the same HU? My amp will be able to power these subs as well no problem.

Sorry if there is any confusion in this message lol, and thanks.

2. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member

yes to all the closed ended questions... as for the y cables you plug 1 in to the red rca and one in to the white your rca from your existing amp goes in to 1 side of each y-cable*** essentially your creating 2-2volt outputs (2 left and 2 right)...

***(unless you are running dual sub amps then i prefer to run each side off its designated side)

you are running 2volts output from your head unit and only going to be running what 2 amps so you shouldn't have any problem... possibly have to re-tune your gain up/down a bit to compensate... and just splice off of your existing amp on wire (thats the blue one)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

I'm new to car audio so it's hard to pick all of that up from text. Would you or anybody else be able to show me a diagram of it? I'm a hands-on person lol.

Thanks alot though!!!

4. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member

so get your hands on 2 y splitters
    http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-RCA-Sp...JUJU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1333610652&sr=8-6

plug one in to the rca of your left channel (red) and one in to your right (white)

then take the left channel from amp one and plug it in to either side of the y-splitter.... do the same for the right channel and repeate for second amp....

if you still no understan my engrish i sorry that a u problems not a me problems... lol

5. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

No I get it now, thanks again