Having trouble with boat stereo speakers

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by justin4108, Mar 15, 2011.

1. justin4108

justin4108 New Member

First off i just installed a new kenwood marine head unit and 4 kenwood marine 6.5's in a boat. I'm having trouble with the sound. I dont have much midrange and the bass seems to be too high.. I've tried turning bass all the way down to -5 on the head unit but still sounds funny. Is this due to speaker placement? Here are some pictures of what i got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this location there is a lot of open space behind the speaker. Could that be the problem? Below are more pictures of another speaker placement. Same situation as above, a lot of open space behind speaker.

[​IMG]

This is the open box behind speaker.
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any advice that i can get. Thanks

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

A fibreglasse boat has ALOT of resonance. I suggest you put a small enclosure of sorts behind the speakers. This will help to eliminate the rear wave of the speaker from interacting with the boats hull. Look for some foam baffles online, and stuff them with polyfill. This would the first step I would take to eliminate the problem. If the problem is not solved then perhaps a high pass filter from about 50 Hz on up may be in order...

3. justin4108

justin4108 New Member

4. TheViking

those are exactly what I was reffering to! Be sure to stuff some dacron in them...THis will help to stop your issue, although not ALL of it. I get through the KC area a once or twice a year....sure glad they got 71 through the middle done!

5. justin4108

justin4108 New Member

I appreciate all the help Viking. I've read some bad reviews about baffles and how it kills the performance of the speaker. Have you personally had any negative results with them? I ask because I'm going to have to do some serious trimming to get my speakers to fit with the baffles. I cut my holes just big enough. Just want to be sure before I put my boat under the knife again.

I"m thankful i dont have to drive on 71. lol. I work 1 block from my house and if i'm not working im usually headed down 7hwy headed to the lake. Thanks again for the help.

6. TheViking

baffles will not kill your perfotmance other than making them a little less boomy in sound. Contrary to popular belief, a speaker designed to run in free air, meaning in an infinite baffle, will do just great in a small sealed enclosure...... i aint in the mood to get into the science of it tonight....

By the way.....do you know a shannon rush in the area? LOL! got a few stories on her!

7. justin4108

justin4108 New Member

I'll give it a shot. I appreciate the help. Worst case scenario, i'm out 25$ for baffles.

Dont think i know Shannon. I went to school with some Rush's though. Go ahead and tell the stories. Whether I know her or not its hard to beat a good story. lol

8. TheViking

LOL! I would have to ban myself! The gal was a true hottie. Blonde, about 115 soaking wet and has a set of you know whats that will get you out of a speeding ticket real quick... I really do kind of miss her, she really knows what to do to get her way......dang, never should have deleted those pics!

One more thing, good luck with the baffles. I hope they do as i think they will. If not, let me know, might have a another idea, but more time and energy consuming...