Fryguy Finds A New Forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fryguy, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Fryguy

Fryguy Full Member

What's up guys :)

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hey, big welcome to you, fellow CAF'er!

<<throws a welcome party>>

[​IMG]

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

'Sup Fry B)

4. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

haha....welcome newb :lmfao:

5. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Delvryboy

That stupid thing below your posts knows my ISP :blowup:

:ban:

GRRRRRRRR! :p

6. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Hey! B)

7. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

i really think you need to donate to the elite member fund with a signature pic like that ;)

8. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

LOL :D

I was messing around with like 20 pics :p

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Good choice of sigs ;).

I just recieved my copy of Return of the King on DVD yesterday...

And no that is not a misprint :p

I'll have to wait for the extended version, but I got the theatrical version for now. I am gathering quite a collection of the LOTR DVDs ;) . Right now I am up to 9 for the series, and I only have 1 of the ROTK.

Boy they sure do show off a home theater B)

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Is that that movie with the barefoot midgets, fairy with a bow and arrow, and one cool guy with a sword..
    Who mange to bumble their way into the path of numerous supposed "legions of doom" and ultra-evil, ultra-warriors.... and yet mange to beat them? :rolleyes:

I want the $15 I spent to see the first movie back, AND the three hours of my life that were stolen by those barefoot fairies.

The director should be jailed for straight-up poor character and plot development...
    Is it a stand-alone movie, or a warm-and-fuzzy moving illustration meant to augment the books? :rolleyes:
    (hint: it doesn't stand on it's own)
    :blowup:

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

:rolleyes:

Chris I swear. I see why you are into CA more than HT. One of the, if not the Epic film trilogy of our time and you feel it a waste of $15. I have spent almost $250 on differant versions for my DVD collection, and I can't tell you how many times that between my wife, kids and I we went to see it (hundreds of dollars, I wouldn't be shocked to say an easy grand) and my collection of LOTR games (Trivial Pusuit, chess, Monopoly). I have spent a mint on the movie and I regret not a penny of it... and you want your $15 back? The series of movies that critics everywhere are touting as even better than the Star Wars series. There was never a time when we were misled into believing the movie was not going to be a series of 3 movies, each coming out exactly 1 year after the previous.

An amazing tale of friendship, companionship, dedication, and love. So well done as to have left this big mean old SOB in tears in the final episode... and I knew what was coming!!! I'm saddened the Tolkien didn't write more stories in the Ring trilogy. I'm going to miss the anticipation, effects, and the charachters these films offered.

I read the books years ago, and the story blew my mind. To see it so well done on film, with the effects that my mind could not have conjured while reading the books, and the emotion of all the charachters involved was stunning.

As far as stand alone, my wife refused to see the first movie (prior to it's release) but we all harped on how she needed to see it. Well, she went to see it, with no background at all on even who Tolkien was, let alone what the LOTR was about. She has become the biggest fanatic of the series in the house (and she still hasn't read the books).

As far as unrealistic, I assume you have no idea who Tolkien was, or what he was doing while writing the series. The LOTR series has it's roots drawn from the German invasion of Europe. Tolkien was a front line soldier in WWI (and I believe WWII as well) and he drew the charachters and story plot and design from his experiance in battle. They were written in a large part in his tent. I am sure the daunting task of war had imprinted an ideas of failure in his brain, only to see the light of an impossible victory time and time again. This is what the story represents.

But alas, I am a movie buff. I believe in the tale being more important than a moments emotion.

What kind of films do you like? I know you are a comedy guy (as evidenced by your copious use of obscure (yet amusing) Holy Grail referances. But man, there is more to film than a laugh.

12. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

I've read the The Hobbit, all of LOTR, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales 4 times.... (once per year since I first found them ;) )

I have tons of the collectible LOTR stuff.... I have the 10k gold One Ring replica from Noble Collection (like $300), Frodo's sword Sting, Like 9 busts from WETA of LOTR characters ($60 each) ;), and framed signed prints from Alan Lee, John Howe, and 1 Ted Nasmith (Eagles of Manwe one ;) )

If you wanna get into absolutely EPIC story telling.... start reading the Silmarillion, Tolkien's masterwork. Once you read it the first time, LOTR doesn't compare. It's amazing.

Jackson screwed up the Two Towers though. Absolutely horrid :ranting: The extended DVD of FOTR made everything good with that movie, but nothing could save TT. ROTK was fantastic, IMO. Hardily the book by any means, but fantastic none the less.

If you love LOTR, read the Silmarillion. Tolkien's actual Silmarillion he worked of for forty years, and it was around 4000 pages unabridged. The published work of Tolkien's Silmarillion is an abridged version, with the main stories in it... around 400 pages ;) You can never fully appreciate the Elves until you read it..... ;)

Happy New Year BTW :bye:

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Oh my, a definate must have!!! I will definately see what I can do about finding them. Now that King has finished writing the Dark Tower series, I have restarted reading the series and am now just beginning the new "Wolves of Calla". I stopped reading them figuring he would die and never finish them (he has been in rather poor health). I am sure I will be done with "Calla" by monday and I will need a book to keep my mind rolling untill Feb or Mar, when the next (and second to last book of the series) is released.

I appreciate the info, I have never heard of it. I got into a few fantasy series, but they all got quite boring after a while. The early Dragon Lance series were good, but they got off on too many tangent series sets and a bunch of BS. But like I say, the first 2 trilogys were pretty well written with some great charachter stories and plot depth (The characther Raistlin, I think I am spelling that right, and his tale of becoming the waste of a human he became and the god he wanted to become is very unique and well thought out).

Thanks, I'm looking into it this weekend B)

14. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

I like the Wheel of Time series too ;)

LOTR is king though.... :D
    David B. Coe's "Rules of Ascension" is quite good also. I'm about to start reading Seeds of Betrayal. I haven't read any of the DL series... :(

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

<<gasps>>
    <<passes out>>
    Star Wars - the movie - was truly epic.
    I've no doubt that the LOTR -the story - was, also.
    but LOTR - the movie - would require a critic who's point of view has been tinted by some prior experience reading these books. ;)

I've made points on CAF about this...
    Lots of people who have read the books, liked the movie.
    Lots of people who haven't read the books, didn't.

To me, this observation is enough to show that the director failed miserably in his job.
    Rather than creating a stand-alone movie, he's created a set of moving illustrations that compliment the books...
    A movie to pleasantly confirm to those who have read the books: "Oh cool, yep, that's what I imagined!"

To me, it's like looking into the clouds in the sky...
    You'd never know a cloud looked like a rabbit head, if you hadn't ever seen a rabbit's head before.
    The director created a sky filled with clouds, to which people who have read the book can say "hey, look, that cloud makes me think of this one part of the book I read..."

In my own experiences, I felt the movie started moving with no background... on the people, places, OR things...
    And not only did you have questions, you didn't care enough about anyone in the movie to give one tick about anything that might happen to them, and there was no weight at all placed on why that one little midget got the ring. :lol:

I like comedies, I'll generally take a comedy - even an intentionally silly one - over just about anything else playing.

I also like other kinds of movies (generally not a horror fan though)...
    But I'm scared of Hollywood.
    Maybe it's because I'm naturally way too critical. ;)

I'll take a movie that has a good plot and acting, with horrible cheap special effects and flat sound...
    ...over a movie that has a weak story, that has high-dollar production, special effects, and "dramatic" sound and light effects.
    Anyday.
    The latter - I'll groan all the way through it.

"Clerks" - my cup of tea.
    "Twister"- Urg.

The Matrix... I liked the first one. Got the brain thinking, and it was a new story that wouldn't have existed 10 years ago. High score on "plot", IMO.
    I honestly thought the special effects were over the top in some places, and some scenes existed solely for the effect of manipulating the audience into going "Oooohhh...", that weren't at all related to plot development...
    ...and worse, were too much of a stretch for anyone of intelligence to go "Oh yeah, that's likely to work." :rolleyes:
    And I heard the last two movies went much farther down that road, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

I like other dramas... not just comedies.
    I liked "As good as it gets"... refreshingly good plot, good acting, and devoid of silly special effects. Like a breath of fresh air.
    The movie should focus on the plot, and it's development, and effects employed to make you believe what's going on... not the opposite. :rolleyes:
    (and such is my complaint with a couple uncoordinated midgets, a fairy with some darts, and a cool guy with a sword fending off what - by special effect - was massively large and powerful legions of doom. Ug, come on!! :rolleyes: )

At least the comedies are good for a laugh, bring up your spirits...
    I have no faith in Hollywood for anything else.

Hey... I like stories.
    That's just not what Hollywood delivers to eye-candy America, I hate to say.

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Bingo!
    Interestingly...
    I've got access to that extended DVD...

But the prospects of spending even MORE than 3 hours watching it (again!) is daunting, given my already negative experience... :angry:

17. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Hey Geo, I think you and I have very similar tastes in movies. The biggest difference is that I liked the LOTR movies.

I think comedies account for over half of my DVD's I own. But then I like a good drama as well. The no-plot special effects movies I don't care for like T3. But I really enjoy movies like The Four Feathers, Life as a House, Ever After, The Professional, Independance Day, Sneakers, The Majestic, etc.

Great comedies:
    Goldmember
    Spaeballs
    Search for the Holy Grail
    The Princess Bride
    Ghostbusters
    The Man Who Knew Too Little (Bill Murray rocks)
    Bruce Almighty
    10 Things I Hate About You
    Bowfinger
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (Steve Martin's funniest IMO)
    And a surprising one I saw last night: Freaky Friday (very funny and surprisingly good)

18. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I have never Seen LOTR What is it?

lol, I know what it is, but I still have never seen any of them :blush:

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

OMG, kids these days :p

Animal House?
    Used Cars?
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High?
    Porky's?

Almost all the Cheech and Chong series (I used to be a stoner, I loved their brand of comedy)

Oh too many to list.

You need to start watching old comedies

American Pie? How funny was that?

I know I like very direct and rude comedy, but these films always get me to burst out laughing.

20. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

The movies are pretty good ;)

Read the books though.... you'll like them more anyways :D