Fixing my amp - need help identifying a surface mount device (SMD)

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by ericj, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ericj

ericj Full Member

I'm hoping someone can help ID the rectangular surface mount components noted on the PCB as D12 & D13, and maybe even help locate a replacement. I think they're diodes, but am not totally sure. The markings show C3 2G. Any ideas? Thanks! :D

[​IMG]

PS - I've already replaced the 220 ohm resistor and regular transistors on the board, but need to replace these as well since they're probably destroyed.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo Full Member

They look like typical SMD transistors, and I think the 2G code means that they are BC850C - Check out the table on page 2:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BC849_BC850.pdf

I'm not sure what the C3 means, but you search through a few BC850C datasheets you might find out.

So how did the amp blow?

3. ericj

ericj Full Member

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into this, but if someone knows for sure, please let me know.

As for how my 11 year old amp blew, I had my battery disconnected and when I reconnected it and started up my car, I realized I forgot to flip the circuit breaker back on. I had the HU on at the time (I should know better) and when I flipped the breaker the amp crackled and smoked, blowing all 8 FETs, gate resistors, and the transistors on a small vertical board that you see pictured. I'm not sure what else is blown since I can't power the amp back up to check it. I'm guessing the output transistors and relay are toast, too.

Here are some additional pics of the damage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ericj

ericj Full Member

I spoke with tech support at Crossfire today, and apparently they still repair these old amps. So, for a flat $150 fee, I can have it repaired if I can't fix it myself. Not too bad considering what I paid for this when I bought it.

5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

power supply go "poof" LOL!

6. wingless

wingless Full Member

Those diodes look like SOT-23 package.

It looks like the tracks on the PCB are burnt-up and will need to be jumped.

That must have smelled good...

Good luck!

7. ericj

ericj Full Member

Decided to send it to Crossfire for repair since I was tired of messing with it and couldn't get it to power up okay. If they can't fix it, I'll be on the lookout for a new amp. :cool:

8. ericj

ericj Full Member

I got my amp back from Crossfire in the mail today--$150 well-spent. Works perfectly now!

FYI - A guy on another forum ID'd the component as a RF Schottky Barrier Diode, type HSMS-2823.