Few Questions

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Honest Bob, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Ok, I went to a car audio shop yesterday and there were a few things the salesmen said that I didnt beleive.

1. The square subs have 20% more cone area than a round one. :blink: :unsure:

2. A sub will be 3 times louder in a car than in the showroom :rolleyes: I thought subs in a car box would be louder in a small room than they would in a car?

I did get to see that 2000W Cadence monster amp. The new style is sweet! They want $960 some for it! :angry:

All the subs in their demo sounded crisp and clean. Especially the ported 10" L5.

They also had a JL 12W7 there, didnt really impress me much. :(

Well of to the show B)

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

1> I dont know the exact number buit 20% sound about right, but that also depends on the subn, they all have differant surround width, and mount style which plays a part in that as well so.... but mathically a Square will have about 20% more surface area than a circle with the same diameter.....

2. Depends on the Room and the Car, you can not say either way for all situtations, soo many variables

and that is like 60% markup on the cadence, jeeze 30-40% I can see but 60 DAMN

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Woo! Got third place in Street 1-2 with one of my Armageddons in a sealed box with the JBL1200.1 137.0 DB. Street 1-2 First place was someone with a ported 12" L7 in a Jetta. 141 or something. I think its time for two ported 10" Brahmas with a friendly 2000 watts from that Cadence amp. I would still be in Street 1-2 with that setup right?

Its kinda weird having the ONLY stock looking vehicle in the entire place... B)

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

20% sounds like a good estimation...

As Mike said, it depends on the room and car in question. Consider that the typical vehicle has the resonance at about 40-45Hz or so. All rooms will have a lower res frequency (more space). The room will enhance the low end of the sub, and the car the mid subbass frequencies. So, it will be easier to peak the sub in the car...

Mike, markup on the ZRS9 (the 2KW amp) is about 40-45%... That is a pretty standard markup for retail.