Famous People And Things At Ces

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by geolemon, Jan 13, 2004.

1. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I had the honor of seeing some very well known people at CES. B)

Besides some of our local favorites here like Dan Wiggins and David Hyre, or industry guys like Manville Smith, etc...
    ... I had the honor of spotting Vance Dickason (author and revisor of The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, and author for several publications):
    [​IMG]

I also had the tremendous honor of not only meeting Dr. Wolfgang Klippel, but having him give Chris H (Delvryboy) and I a personal tour and explanation of the Klippel Distortion Analyzer... and then a couple days later, he approached us, tapped us on the shoulder, and said hello, as he recognized and remembered us. Now that's an honor. :blush:
    [​IMG]
    That's Chris H, Dr. Klippel, and myself, left to right.
    He was truly a cool guy, fun to talk to, and much younger than I would had pictured him... a tribute to his accomplishments, IMO. B)

Since he was wandering around the mobile audio section, I intrigued him by telling him about Adire's XBL^2 technology, RE's XMX drivers, and told him where RE's booth was. I figured David M. and the RE guys would like to meet him also (and they told me he was impressed B)).

So I was wondering, if anyone else had any famous encounters, any pictures to post? :detective:

2. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Yeah, did anyone see Elvis in Las Vegas? :p

That's cool Chris. He was probably impressed that you guys understood what he was talking about, and/or knew about his machine already. Probably not many car audio non-insiders (Although Chris is close with BEtter Audio) who know about it. I mean, wouldn't you be surprised if your grandma came up to you and asked you to find her some point source drivers for the caddy? :eek:

3. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Are you adding any new figures in your little shrine at home (I am sure you must have one, including scented candles)? LOL, I am sorry, just could not help not to dispense a little bit of sarcasm... ;)

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Elvis married my wife and I :p

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Directly across the street from the Harley Davidson Cafe (highly recommended... try the NA "Spark Plug" drink ;))...
    White bedazzled Elvis-suit the first day, blue and sunglasses the second day.
    B)

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Shrine? more like Danny McGrath's checklist from Billy Madison... except "people to meet", not "people to kill".. :p

Maybe someday I can cross off "Dr. Kurt Mueller" someday also... except I don't speak German...

7. FocalEnthusiast

FocalEnthusiast Full Member

How about some AVA pics :D ?

8. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

If the Brahmas do not work as they are suppose to... I may come up with my own list: people to hit on the head with Brahma... :rolleyes: LOL

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

If the Brahmas do not work as they are suppose to... I may come up with my own list: people to hit on the head with Brahma... :rolleyes: LOL [/b][/quote]
    Tell me something Peter, is the glass ever half full?

Try being a bit more optimistic. 1 good thing though, you never set yourself up for a disapointment, it seems you never expect much :p

10. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

But isn't that a good thing though? He goes in expecting the performance of a Jensen woofer, then experiences the Brahma (notice I said "experiences", not "hears" :) ). Then he will truely be a believer.

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Very true! :D
    Just wait, Peter! :lol:

12. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

But isn't that a good thing though? He goes in expecting the performance of a Jensen woofer, then experiences the Brahma (notice I said "experiences", not "hears" :) ). Then he will truely be a believer. [/b][/quote]
    Jensen performance? LOL... many moons ago Jensen was actually considered a credible audio company and their speakers weren't the worse... at least in comparisson to other brands... And to be honest with you, that 20 years doing the car audio thing, it has mostly been a series of disappointments and failures... yeah... this is the reality... And you know what is really depressing? I get to my computer, turn on the ribbons and that 6in sub nicely loaded in the corner and I can really enjoy the music... Now this is truly depressing... And in so many years of trying to get that good car sound, nothing ever came remotely close to my Boston towers that pack nothing more than a couple of 8s...

With all honesty, the Mitsu makeover will be my final attempt... I am just gonna resign... I am gonna set the eq flat in the Porsche and start listening to talk shows in the Pathfinder... :rolleyes:

13. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

And I hope this really works because I am putting the stuff in this car that nobody has even seen locally so I am just keeping my fingers crossed... I am not sure if this combo of ND6, Max Fidelity tweeters and Brahmas will work but wouldn't this be nice to leave the locals speechless... LOL, we shall see... I think I picked the right ingridents, I think... :rolleyes:

14. TalNLnky

TalNLnky Full Member

brahma is an amazing sub... some people don't like it, but from my experience, those who have sat in my car, have liked it, especially the few people that heard it in a sealed box, those people loved how it sounded while maintaining a since of responsiveness.

funny tho, 1 guy who was a salesman who kept on bad mouthing my Brahma sat down in it when i got metered once.... And after i burped (using the pause button on the deck) he said... OH it just distorted... i asked where, he said "at the end" hehehe... wasn't the brahma, it was the deck.... i've never once noticed any distortion outta the brahma.

15. TalNLnky

TalNLnky Full Member

now on topic, thats awesome that you guys got to meet Vance & klippel, and that klippel later on approached you.... Gotta be one of the greatest feelings you've had in a long time. Kinda like, a wake-up call that says, "hey, you're starting to accomplish something". I would've loved to be in your shoes right then.... maybe someday. Hope this isn't the 1st and only time for you.... keep it up!

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Honestly, he didn't know us from anything we had done...
    ...he's a legend in that respect... we sure aren't. :lol:

But I think he appreciated that we appreciated his machine, and understood not only what it did, but why it did what it did (what the benefits are to measuring a loudspeaker).
    Nothing special... but probably refreshing to him to have a couple guys who gave a damn about the technical side, as opposed to the usual sales guys who were coming in there saying "You know... I've been thinking about trying my hand at designing speakers... do you think this machine can get me started?"
    :rolleyes:
    And it's not good marketing to groan out loud... :p

However, it was very, very nice... a true honor. B)

17. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

I say, go to your local community college, and take 2 German classes. Then supplement it yourself, and I guarantee in 5 yrs you could be sprechen mit Herrn Müller. Es ist nicht so schwer.

18. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

what about the ever so famous basshead who knows nothing about anything what was his name oh yea scotts :)

19. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Scotts?
    The lawn care guys?
    They were at CES?
    I missed them...
    I could use a little greening in the spring...

:lol:

Oh, you mean that guy...
    That guy... who's going to own one of those subs...
    you know... that sub...
    :lmfao:

20. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

actually i was refering to the mop jockey in the mens room. Hey geo get on aim and IM me i would like to talk to you if possible