Dual Koda Ht Cabinet

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by sandt38, Sep 4, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It is under way. I have ordered a second Koda 10 and a second PE 250 amp for the project. It will house 2 Kodas, and 2 amps. The units will be in 3 feet total sealed (I bought the ports for it, but I have elected to go sealed), with 500 wats total power... 250 per unit.

The enclosure has been assembled and is sitting in the shop right now drying. The cabinet is heavily braced, and by itself weighs about 40 pounds. When I drop the amps and subs in it I suspect it will run about 60-65 pounds total. I will add black spike feet to couple with the floor. Ribbon mahogany coated with tung oil will wrap the unit, with gloss black on the face. A removable grill will adron the unit and keep it invisible durring HT viewing.

I suspect it will be completed by next Friday, and pics will be forthcoing. These units will be available for sale, in either single or dual configurations. Also expect to see single ported units in the near future, as I turn my focus on building HT units completed and ready for sale.

2. ASM

ASM Full Member

Very nice Seth. I need to start thinking of HT subs myself.

Did you finish in the same veneer as your mains?

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Actually Chad, I used the same veneer as my surrounds. The tiger mahogany is really beautiful, but it is too bold for the front. Being that the sub sits right next to the TV, I wanted to keep it a bit more subdued.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The finish will be more glossy then the surrounds represent though. I wanted the surrounds to disappear, but the sub will be a bit more noticeable.

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

How about a final appeal for "ported"? :D

Just thinking along these lines:

Sealed boxes work great in cars - because you have a 12dB/octave bass boost called "cabin gain" working for you - and that combines with the relatively early rolloff of the sealed box to give you a flat in-car response.

Ported boxes work great in big rooms - because you don't have "cabin gain" working to help you... or at least not as much, of course you'll have a bit of room gain. ;)
    But my point is, you can extend that response flat, anechoically (perhaps even overextending it so that it dips just slightly, to combine better with room gain).

And, XBL^2 subs work deceptively well in ported boxes - much better than their EBP or Qts's would seem to indicate. B)

What are your thoughts?

5. ASM

ASM Full Member

After looking again at your pictures, I agree. The sub sitting so close to the TV and the tower it would be a bit much with the same finish. Of course I personally wouldn't have thought of this until after it was all done. :blush:

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

One of the main reasons my intial thoughts were to go ported was just that. We both know how XBL2 maintains composure very well in ported apps, due to the fact that the BL is so damn linear... But I was thinking about it more and I decided I was after a more natural feel in the room. The main reason I went with a second Koda was to maintain the output of the ported cabinet. I can tweek the unit a bit by attenuating the upper sub frequencies a few DBs if nessicary to keep the in room flat, but I will wait and see how it reacts as is.

The cabinet is built and I am currently veneering the unit, so there is no going back now. But, if I decide the unit needs more bottom end when all is said and done, I still have the 4 inch ports and a ton of veneer left anyways.

We shall see.

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Here are the first couple pics. The grill is giving me issues. I intended to run a 3/4 inch grill and got it made, but when I placed the frame over the unit with the sub in it, I found the surround stuck out just a shade over 3/4 of an inch. I contemplated it last evening and I was speaking with Geo on the phone, and he said something that made the idea pop into my head... so please pardon the lack of a grille for right now (I'll be building that today) and the lack of 1 of the amps and spike feet and 1 of the Kodas... they are slated to arrive the 8th and 9th respectively.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ASM

ASM Full Member

Looking good Seth.

Where did you order the amp from? If you don't mind me asking...

9. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Looking very good. I really like your taste in veneer.
    As for ported vs. sealed... i can't say i've ever seen a HT sub that was'nt ported.

As for the amp, he indicated it's a PE 250, (PE for Parts Express) which is most likely one of the models listed here: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?we...ectGroup_ID=505

remote control? lmao!

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Chad, it is the Parts Express 250 watt amp, but I got the amp that does not enable bass boost, and the one without the remote ;) . There is a friend of mine on the board who is a PE dealer, and he hooks me up. I will not disclose his name, however, as it is not my place and he does it on a private level. If he choses to disclose it, he can and will I am sure, but otherwise... well, you know ;)

[​IMG]

Gonz,

That is my current sub, an Adire Rava. It houses a sealed Shiva and a 250 watt amp. Mine is in the black ash finish though ;) . A good home sub can be sealed, and I wanted XBL2.

Thanks. I actually have alot of neat Mahogany veneers layin around. I like mahogany in that is is rich in color and texture, and they look simply beautiful aged and natural. Being a woodgrain kind of guy those attributes are important to me. As far as negatives, I have to say that mahogany is impossibly open grained. It is extremely difficult to close the grain and allow for a pristene finish. That is why you typically see mahogany stained deep red, very heavily, and with alot of polyeurothane on it... But there again, I don't like poly, it appears plastic and unnatural. :(

11. ASM

ASM Full Member

Thanks for the link gonz. I knew PE sounded familiar. :p

Seth, what are your plans for the Rava?

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Chad,

I'll likely keep it as a demo unit.

13. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

I'm a big fan of woodwork, so i understand your appreciation. You probably suffer the same "cringe" as i, upon entering an OLD home to find massive amounts of woodwork, all painted white! :blink:

As for the sealed subs, it's interesting for sure.
    Like i said, i've never come across one... but i do have "boominess" problems myself, from being ported... which can be tamed, tuned, adjusted, but never ideal, it's always of some compromise. Therefore the idea of sealed is ponderous.

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Gonz,

properly implimented and placed sealed woofers in a room can be remarkably flat and surprizingly loud. I had a buddy who heard my Dual Shivas in my car, seeing 425 watts per. He came to the house when the Rava arrived and stood there with his jaw on the floor. He simply could not believe the little SQ Shiva could pound in the room when it was driven so hard... and with 1 less driver being fed with less power.

I am somewhat counting on greater extention of the Kodas then modeling them predicts due to placement in the room, polyfil, multiple driver reinforcement, driver position, and XBL2s amazing strength at it''s excursion limits (where it will be driven in it''s deepest extention the furthest).

Feeling you on the white wood... it makes me fucking cringe :ranting:

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

[​IMG]

Here it is covered, with 2 amps in it, and the last piece of the puzzle, the other Koda 10, set to arrive tomorrow... I am dying to try this monster out.

I am going to be trying to make my own Adire logo to adorn the front grill... maybe the folks at Adire would like to send me one of theirs, like on the Rava... actually, it would be great if I had 6, 1 for each speaker in my HT... all Adire of course ;)

16. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

looks great dude :)

I''d be really surprised if you could''nt purchase the emblems for each speaker.
    If you can''t, drop me a PM, i can probably create something interesting.