Does anyone listen to Muddy Waters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by wild-bill, Aug 3, 2010.

1. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Last week I ordered a Muddy Waters live album-yes a brand new LP from Amazon. It was recorded in 1971. When I recorded it to a CD, I boosted the 31 and 62Hz on the EQ all the way up. Listening to it in the car, it had enough bass. But unfortunately much of the older music just doesn't have the same kind of bass. The subs sounded sloppy and boomy.--But some of the old songs sound great. Like "Lowrider" by WAR. It hits pretty hard.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

If i remember right, most of the vinyle from that era really didnt have alot of sub bass. most turntables at the time were not of the best design. any low frequencys from the speakers tended to feedback to the platter and cause excessive rumble and feedback. DBX was an innovator in the 70s with several devices to enhance the performance of vinyle...though I never messed with them much. All you were essentially doing was boosting the low frequency BS below 40 Hz...I would rerecord at 0 gain accross the board and do your equalization post recording and see if performance is better...you might be surprised

3. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Hi Viking. I don't think it's my turntable. It's a Sony PS-LX350H about 5 years old. With newer albums it sounds great. I have a Buddy Guy record recorded in 2008 and a couple of Brandy's albums from the 90s. They have plenty of sub bass and really rock. And when I record to CD, I turn the volume down to eliminate rumble and feedback.

4. cork1958

cork1958 Full Member

What Viking says may still surprise you though, instead of trying to force feed the bass into your recording.