Do i need an expensive deck?

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by Fbmowner, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Since i have an amp on my subs which oviously has a hpf and lpf, also an amp on all my door speakers that has hpf's etc.. Do i need a deck that has similar features of my 7800mp?? hpf/lpf/slope/15band eq. etc. Decks with similar options cost just as much as my 7800mp did when i bought it.. So honestly, can i get away with a deck that has all the outs i need and not a ton of fancy settings without losing quality? Its been so long since i bought a new hu so im a bit hesitant

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

This is My Opinion, based on MY Experiences.

I really don't think we need all those extra options on an HU. Seriously, how many times do we need to readjust our amps? I have not adjusted my amps in years, yes thats years. So once we get it right we leave it along.

On thing we do need, Sub level and sub on/off. Other than that, like you said, the amp has High pass, Low pass, Frequency, and the list goes on. So, I see no need to duplicate those adjustments.

So lets concentrate on what we need and what you want. The options I would look for, no matter what, is Bluetooth and USB.

3. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Awesome, thanks for the input. Im acually looking at the kenwood headunit you ordered for your boy! I really dont have a need for bluetooth. All i want is something i can plug my ipod into and be able to look through the folders on the headunit is self along with hiding the ipod in the glove box or something. Also just like you said, Sub level, on and off. I dont remember who replied to your thread but i may go for the similar one with the 4v outputs rather then 2v.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The only problem with hiding the iPod with the Kenwood is that the USB plug is on the front.

I went to a local shop today that had a Kenwood KDC MP345U in its display. I took in my iPod, hooked it up and played with the radio for about 10-minutes. The iPod controls are great and they work well. Its smooth and super easy to learn. So the KDC BT645U is the same, just a few more options.

The Kenwood would be good for my son because (unlike me), he will remove it from the car on a daily basis. He also plans to use a flash drive.

5. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Do Kenwoods have a special type of plug in the back for an ipod interface like the rear ip-bus plugs on pioneers? I see some type of plug on the back of the kenwood unit im looking at but im not sure if its for an ipod interface or not

6. ericj

ericj Full Member

Yeah, they do, but it's really not needed since the usb input offers full iPod control.

7. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Would only need it so the plug is in the back so i can hide the ipod. The unit im looking at has the usb in the front

8. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

9. ericj

ericj Full Member

Oh yeah, then you could use it for that. My new Kenwood deck has a rear usb cable. If you need one of the iP 500 Kenwood iPod cable units, I have one that I used in my old setup and even still have the box & manuals. It's this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113IP500/Kenwood-KCA-iP500-iPod-Control-Interface.html?tp=120

Let me know if you want it and feel free to make an offer.

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

ericj is correct, if you want to hook up an iPod to the rear plug you will need the KAC iP500. I have one too. I used to run Kenwoods. Loved them.

I will probably install it on my sons car

11. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Will do but it will be a few weeks. Waiting to get a new HU after the holidays since ill be spending alot on gifts for people, including my "cough" tv "cough". Cant tell my old lady i didnt buy her anything because i spent my money on a new HU =P

12. ericj

ericj Full Member

Cool, man. Just send me a PM when you're ready. It's in my closet, so it isn't going anywhere. ;)

13. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

what happened to your 7800?

14. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

The biggest thing that bothers me about it is, the front right RCA has no signal at all, so i had to split front left to be front left and right on my amp(not sure if it messes with the signal power or quality).. Its not a huge problem but not having left to right fade is pretty crappy since alot of songs have things faded left to right.. To help i just used the good rear rcas for the front so i dont notice it as much.. 2nd the remote wire decides to cut on and off at random times.. I just ran a wire from the cars accessory wire from ignition harness and that solved that.Had to solder over the pico fuse because it was sending horrible noise to all my rcas. To be completely honest, the thing has to many damn settings. Ive owned the thing for at least 3 years and its been great but to this day i have no idea what SLA and BBE mean hahah. Well i know how it effects my sound but not really what its for. I just think its time for newer technology. Shes been good but times have changed and i feel the need for change! One thing i did recenetly just notice about this HU is the 5v preouts which is pretty bad ass, but i dont think 5 to 4v will be a big difference at all. Please feel free to argue my thoughts here because overall its still a good unit.

15. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I don't care for all the (sound)options either on newer HUs. I've played with em and just don't like the sound. I usually leave all the DSP settings, bass boosters and filters off.
    Like Ranger said, I think Sub control is the only feature that is a must.

Like Skynyrd, "I'm just a simple.....kind of man...."

16. Collapsednut

Collapsednut Member

I have a Jensen Phase Linear UV10 and love it. I figured it would feel cheap and not last long but its going on 2 years now. Just another option for you, if you want touch screen. I think they run about $250 now. Only thing I dont like is, I wish while music was playing it would have a screen saver or something. I feels kinda bland just sitting on the song select screen the whole time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  17. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The KCA iP500 will NOT work with the Kenwood KAC BT645U. When its hooked up, the radio sees the "ext media" and then "Resume" is displayed.

I was not able to read what was on the iPod or make the iPod play.

18. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Thanks very much for the heads up Ranger

19. ericj

ericj Full Member

Just out of curiosity, what kind of iPod (nano, touch, shuffle, classic, etc.) were you using to test it?

20. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I used a 2nd Gen Nano. It was the same iPod that I used with my Kenwood KDC X617 and the KCA iP500. I was the first iPod set-up I ever had and I never lookked back.

CD???? Whats a CD?