DIN 5-pin cable help!!

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by brianjrealtor, Jul 26, 2010.

1. brianjrealtor

brianjrealtor New Member

I have an oldschool Kenwood KRC-929 cassette deck...(crazy, but i still prefer analog sound)

this head unit has 2 DIN plugs (5- pins) for the output of the front and rear channels instead of the standard RCA output plugs...

These DIN plugs were used in some of the old school car stereo and amp applications from different manufactures (alpine, Kenwood, etc.) and probably have a universal wiring code as to which pin goes is for what lead.

These DIN plugs were used in some of the old school car stereo and amp applications from different manufactures (alpine, Kenwood, etc.) and probably have a universal wiring code as to which pin goes is for what lead.

1) buy- I either need where I can buy an adapter cable that converts the male DIN to 2 RCA female (left and right channels). Where can I buy these cables cheap??

-or-

2) do it myself- All I need to know is the assignment for each of the 5 pins inside each of the 2 DIN plugs? (ie, front left (+), front Left (-), front right (-), front right (+), and the same for the rear channels...

I've looked all over the itnernet and have come up short...
    Once I know, I can take it from here and get this stereo installed!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

3. brianjrealtor

brianjrealtor New Member

I saw that weblink too, but I need specific pin assignment for the proper wiring for each of the channels from the DIN 5-pins..

any other help out there???

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Been awhile, but lets see.....

If you cant find a DIN-RCA adaptor, then your only other option would be to cut and solder RCA leads to the cord coming out of your deck. The middle conductor was typically a either remote turn on for amps or a ground. the terminals on either side were your right and left audio outputs. The ground is common on both left and right and front and rear audio outputs. Do you KNOW how to use a VOM? If so this can be a fairly simple process to do with a 12 volts going to your radio on the bench or on your lap in the car hooked up to 12 volts.