Dead battery!!!!

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by super_6, Dec 27, 2006.

1. super_6

super_6 New Member

I have a 1987 buick grand natoinal,the problem im having is when i cut the car off and go to crank it back up the battery is at 10 volts and will not crank.i just installed a 1.5 fared cap an 1600watt Ultra Linear amp.should i take the cap out and run straight 2 a fuse block.help if u can.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Hi Super 6 and welcome!

I had a buddy years ago that had a GN.....damn thing was faster than heck! (one of the few things GM did right!!!!! LOL! )

First of all, ditch the cap, take it back, get your money back on it, whatever.

Read this thread http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=4204

Now, as for your batery, if it is only showing 10 volts, sonds like it may have a dead cell in it. If the car is jump started and runs, and drives, then when you shut it off, irt wont crank the car over, probably a bad battery. Could the new cap have doen this? probably not....

If you can, get the car started, then check voltage of the battery....if it is at least 13.5 volts (give or take a bit) you have a decent charging stem and the battery is probably shot.....

3. super_6

super_6 New Member

the battery is good if i let it sit over 30min or over night it will crank. it will be charging 13.5 or higher before i shut down,if i run in a store and come back out within 5 min and turn the key 2 spin over my volt guage will say 10v and wont fire .it seems like the cap draws the battery down and when i let it sit it charges back up!

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Are you going by the gauge on the dash? or are you using a VOM ?

Cause there may be another issue with car....... which are you using?

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

A cap will not drain a battery

Even though the system may be charging at 13.5 volts it could still be that your battery is dead.

Why don't you just take your battery into the car parts store and have then test it

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

maybe he has a bad starter selenoid.had a buddy withthe same prob.his starter selinoid would overheat or somthing,but after it cooled a bit...vroom started right up.

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I agree, starter or solenoid problem. The cap ain't hurting anything

8. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I would agree, heat soak on the starter. i had the exact same problem on my Mustang after installing headers. Drove me nuts until i figured it out. I bought a powermaster starter and never had a problem again.

9. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Here is how to take the guesswork out of the equasion....

After your car has been sitting for that hour (or overnight)....disconnect the power wire going to your amp(s) at the battery or pull the fuse out....Get in and start your car...turn off HU....Drive like you normally would drive and go into a store like you said you normally do....Come back out, after 5-10 minutes (or the time frame you described) and see if she starts.....

OK....if it starts fine with no problems, you know that the problem could be in the cap, amp or somewhere in the audio system (shouldn't be, but who knows)......Remove the cap and just run your fused power wire direct to the amp....Do the experiment again....If that don't solve it...post here again...

Now....if it fails like before with audio system out of the picture, you have another problem.....First thing I would do is take the battery out or if you have the means to do it....drive to autozone and pull your battery out in the parking lot and take it inside...have them check it....if it is good, you will have to have the starter draw checked by a garage....if battery is bad replace it.....They should be able to do a load test on the battery and see if it is good....Fully charged battery should be around 12.6v or higher....Check this with a volt meter (not the dash guage on the car, an actually DVOM)

Willy

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

come to think, my bubbies monte carlo had headers in it.

since i work in a print shop i got him a srap piece of aluminum plate and he fabed up a shield.it did help some.untill the shield fell off.lol

11. DREAMZmustang

DREAMZmustang Full Member

i had a GNX before and a buddy of mine runs one and is dialed in at 7.40 sec. damn i love those cars