Crossover wiring

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by Korporat Avengr, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Korporat Avengr

Korporat Avengr Full Member

I got some new Polk audio MM speakers Im adding to my system. I already have 16 awg wires running from the amp to all the speakers. These Polk speakers have external crossovers, and the wires on those dont look as thick as the speaker wires im running. How should I connect the crossovers?
    Should i just connect the crossover wires directly to my speaker wires with crimp connectors?
    And wheres the best place to mount the crossovers...is inside the door ok? I dont want to run any wires through the door grommets again

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

Its recommended to NOT put them in your doors due to moisture and water getting in there, I put mine in my glove box..most people put them in the kick panels

Do an install right the first time once, not twice

3. H8glasswerk

H8glasswerk Full Member

Not to mention every time someone slams the door, caps start to come loose from the board.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

alternitive option.....I have mounted many passives in the door. Like was said before, doors slam and cause issues. What I always did was secure them to the door with zip ties or screws.......as close to the hinge end of the door as possible. this helps to eliminate issues by not allowing as much door slam shock to them from inertia.....ya, really...

But for a secure method that wont steer you wrong...keep em in the cabin.

5. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I glued(epoxy)mine to the inside of my door panels out of the way.They have been there for well over a year and no problems as of yet.

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I'm with tommy2tone. My tweeters and my homemade crossovers are in the door. They have been in the doors for well over 8 or 9 years with no problem. Also I anticipate no problems with the install.