Correct wire size

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by mrmizcue, Sep 2, 2007.

1. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

So yesterday I had to get my a/c fixed and took the Volvo to the area where all of the shops work on a/c, car audio, and window tint. The shop i used was the same one that had replaced the compressor several week before. Great a/c work and very cheap.
    While i was waiting for the work to be finished, I went to see what all of the shops were doing...i.e..installs. I was just killing time. Most everything was china crap...alot of that here. There was this one guy that had a amp and a 10" sub in a pre-fab box. He was getting a alarm installed. Looking over everything under the hood I saw the power wire and it was 10ga. I mentioned to him that he might want to think of getting a larger size wire and that my sub speaker wire is 8ga. Just then the owner of the shop came over and said that that was the correct size wire for that amp and the i did not know what I was talking about. Hmmmmm....now it was time to have "fun"!!!
    I asked the owner what wire size did he use in his demo car....he proudly told me it was 4ga. I knew his set-up frm the other times i had been there. I asked him to show his demo car....for the other guy. He has 2 caps and a digital fused dist. block. Upon looking at the voltage meters i saw that he had 12.4v @ 650 rpm with no music....with pounding music 10.7-11.4v. At 2000 rpm he gained 1 volt across the board. I explained to him about voltage and amp power ratings and told him about my 1/0 power wire. He said he had to see to believe. Ok....no problem. No music i get 14.55v @ 650 rpm. with pounding music 12.8v. At 2000 rpm i gain 1.4v with music and .4v with no music Oh yeah...both of the alt's are 120 amp. He left speechless.
    I just wanted to share the story.
    here is a link for wire sizes
    http://http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ha ha it's funny when you prove dumb people wrong.

3. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

that is funny lol

4. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

another thing....whenever i go to the shop that does my installs.....the owner always wants to use my car as a demo car. He even asked me to do the setup in his demo car..WTF? I go there because it is very cheap and the main installer understands what i am trying to do....QUALITY!!!!
    I draw everything i need done in AutoCad and just give them a print-out. They charge $12/pair of speakers, $15/amp, and the box i want built will be.....are you ready....are you sitting down.......$35/carpet....life is good!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  5. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

wat the hell 35 thats a good price so u say amps are cheap huh what brands of amps im lookin for one to run my mids and highs on

6. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

amps are a little cheaper here but the shipping would kill you. I did get some good deals from i guy on here advertising his website here is his email: KEVSCARAUDIO@aol.com

7. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

here isthe link to his site: Home