Converting Power

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by jonnyv713, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

is there anyway i can convert the power of a wall outlet to run a car amp? jw lol

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

You could but i wouldn't turn it up much maybe just to test it. A 12 volt DC adapter will work, preferably more than 1 amp. If you try and crank it you will kill the adapter. Most computer power supplies are 12 volts too, but don't crank it lol.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yea...with a power supply and a battery or two

But buying a home amp is more efficient and costs less

a 12 volt adapter will shut off instantly...nowhere near enough juice.

A head unit pulls more than 1 amp.

with my 25 amp power supply I can power a 300 watt amp decently without it shutting off

4. jonnyv713

ok im confused! lol so what would i power it with now?

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol, do you just want to test it or to play tunes in your house, if it's to play tunes forget it, it's not worth the effort. You could go to a pawnshop and get the old style stereo amplifiers, they are 4 ohm for like $40.00 and hook your sub to that.

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Where did you find a 25 amp power supply?

7. jonnyv713

k how do i test stuff cause i remember that i played tunes once but i forgot how! o and i found out y my subs werent pushin air in the truck! THEY WERE OUT OF PHASE! ugh im so relieved

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I got mine at radioshack a couple years ago...I use it to test various sh!t.

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

If you have a 12 volt dc adapter it will work jsut for testing stuff, but it needs to be at least 1 amp, 2 is better, 25 is even better lol but they are expensive.

10. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

cool, my buddy has one downtown but i think it's only 10 or 15 amp, i might grab it anyways it is pretty cheap.

11. jonnyv713

is that what i would use like to charge a portable dvd player or what? lol ugh i feel so stupid right now! but like what the ps2 uses for power?

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

a 12 volt adapter is too small and weak for anything car audio related anyways.

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Lol it does work i've been doing it for the past few years for my ebay crap. Yes a ps2 adapter might work but you have to read it and see what it says for output, it has to be 12 volts dc and more than 1 amp

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

oic...well i guess you can use it to see if stuff powers up but i doubt it'd be able to power a head unit without shutting off

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

It does, don't make me power up my orion and a deck because i will and take a video LOL

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, maybe not my orion, but a deck and small amp no problem just can't turn it up.

17. jonnyv713

so how do i plug in the wires?

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

don't look for an adapter...what you need is a power supply

19. jonnyv713

where do i get that and what do u mean by that?