Cleaning tinted windows

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by BlkX, Jan 10, 2003.

1. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

What do you guys use to clean film-tinted windows??? Which product in particular? Or do ya just use regular windex and hope they don't get too dark and purple? :)

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

too dark????

I havbe 5% and want 2.5% :D

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

and I use Foaming Glass Cleaner Made by Cyclo

I use it on all my glass, works great

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Ok cool thx Mike.

I got 20%....that's plenty dark. 5% is just too much for me.

Here's a side question... if i put another layer of 20% on my rear windows which are factory tinted to ~25%, about how dark will they get?

5. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

I just use watter that seems to work pretty well, but any type of cleaner with out ammonia will work.

I thought about doing another layer ontop of the factory 20%, but I don't know how dark it exactly gets. I just know its prettry dark (if that helps ... lol) but my educated guess would be somewhere around 10% ¿maybe¿

6. assneckavenger

assneckavenger Full Member

well im a tinter so do not use anything with amonia in it or anything abrasive. what i reccomend is soap and water with a paper tower.

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

There are all sorts of products out there that are safe for tinted windows..
    Spray products that contain no ammonia.

How picky do you need to be?
    I'd just go down to my local Pep Boys or Autozone and pick up an ammonia free cleaner.
    I don't know, but my window tint is as old as my car (95) and it still looks good as new, so my "whatever works" strategy has worked for me so far! B)

8. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

yea, I just use what ever Works

I dont clean them on the Inside that often, they dont get dirty :D

I wish i can find a Shop around here to redo my Window Tint for me, I have done it myself before, but I am to a point where it is better for me to pay someone to do it, but all the shops around here refuse to go below 35% indiana legal limt :rolleyes: hell if I go that High why I tint?

I guess I will have to go to chicago or indy to have it done :angry:

9. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Heh, the guy that tinted mine went down to 20%, and gave me a receipt for it! Of course it doesn't say how dark the tint is on the receipt, but he obviously didn't care.

10. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

this only started happening in the last few years

Use to you could sing a Wavier stating that you were informed it was illegal to use on the road and was for "show" only

but the city, county, someone put a end to that

there was one shop that did not care, but they went under so........

Got to love the good old "freedom" of todays world :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Slump_Da_Hustla

Slump_Da_Hustla Full Member

Damn. In cali they'll do whatever you want, they just won't warrantee it if it's illegal.

12. cab

cab Full Member

I dont understand why the places wont tint under legal limits. Is it illegal for them to do it? Why? The customer pays the business to do what the customer wants. Mine are tinted the legal limits here, 5% back/side, 32% door windows, and that's only because I dont want any tickets. If I wanted them darker and a place wouldnt do it, I'd be kinda pissed off.. :-\

13. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

My place did it bleow the legal limit. But I think they may get fined or something. Im not sure though.

14. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

The place that did mine didn't list how dark they were on the receipt. I'm not too worried about getting a ticket for it either considering half the people in my town have illegal tint. The only thing i'd be worried about is if i get pulled for speeding or something, they might tack that on as well.

15. cab

cab Full Member

yeah, I think that's the only time they actually enforce it..

16. trifle

trifle Full Member

half water half baby shampoo

17. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

What!?

18. trifle

trifle Full Member

What!?[/b][/quote]
    same thing that you use to clean the window before you put the tint on