choosing an amp for mismatched component set

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by jgilk1, Jun 29, 2012.

1. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member

bought yet another car and yet again the stereo falls short... by far better then most stock stereos but it needs work...

1992 lexus sc 400 i have 1 blown tweeter and one blown mid bass driver and well the factory system how ever better then most still leaves a bit to be desired.... i have set my self at a budget of $1000 for the equiptment... yeah that works lol (focal is out of my range)

subs alpine type r SWR-12D2
    subwoofer amp Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D

thoughts from here down
    4 channel amp Hifonics GLX60.4
    mid bass Power Acoustik XPS-104
    tweeters Rockford Fosgate PRIME R1T-S
    crossover Swiss Audio STX30

yeah i should probably go from 4" to 6 1/2" but i want to retain the factory holes and not have to modify or manufacture...

so the fosgate tweeters are 40rms and the xps mid bass are 60w rms do i split the difference and push 100wrms to them and risk blowing the tweeters or do i push 80wrms and call it a day (yes im aware the glx60.4 pushes 120 @ 2 ohm but right now this is all thoughts...

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The only issue I see is the crossover. Its a three-way. You only need a two way. I would look for a two way with a crossover point around 5000Hz. Personally, I would not even go to that much trouble. Put a 99uf capacitor on the 4-inch speaker to protect it and a 6.8uf capacitor on the tweeter.

But if you insist (no problem) a two way is the way to go.

The amp will not present a problem.

3. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member