Choosing an alternator!

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Fbmowner, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

So im about ready to upgrade to a higher output alternator. Im running 2 amps rite now. 1 Infinity REF 1211a on 3 12's which can push 1300 RMS at 2ohms, seeing as how i have some pretty bad voltage drops(down to 11.2 with deep bass and lights on at idle!) i am going to guess that im not seeing all those watts. 2nd i have an infinity kappa four for the door speakers which is said to push around 125RMS x4. So far ive been looking at these http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=11921+10333+1616+4294963352+4294967175+2243 but it almost seems to good to be true?. 130amp alts for less then 200 bucks?? Somethings not rite there. The stock alt in my explorer is said to only push about 95amps. Im thinking 130amps with the Big 3 and a proper battery should do fine.. ANY input will help!! I have no idea about aftermarket brand alternators. SHAME ON ME!!

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

A few key things to look at when choosing an alternator.....

Look for an alt. that has a fairly high output at an idle. Alot of folks sit around in a parking lot with the car at an idle. Alt's dont typically put out much at an idle.

This is personal preferance, but I like an alternator that is externally regulated. Keeps the heat generated by the alternator away from the electronics in a regulator. Also allows for more cooling in the alt case.

I cannot direct you to a source of alternators as I have been out of it for a while. Rockford Fosgate used to make some good ones. Lestek was another. Be forewarned however....Over the years (long time ago) We dealt with a few manufacturers, or should i say, rebuilders of alternators that really hyped up the amperage output. Upon installation it was discovered that they did no more than a factory job......and were less reliable.

4. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Thanks, I have one more question about alternators. Say i buy a 200 amp alt for my explorer and i get a new car (not new but ya know what i mean) What are the chances i can craft a bracket to get it to fit in another vehicle.

5. TheViking

When there is a will there is a way!

6. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

That's what i like to hear =D. On a side note, I went back up to my old school today and bought some 0 guage.. 3bucks a ft >.> I dont remember it being so expensive last time i got some

7. TheViking