Chevy

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by fb4076, Mar 13, 2004.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the Chevy Avalanche. I was wondering if the bed (when closed off) was accessible from the cab? Would I be able to put subs back there?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I had one in the shop just the other day. From what i could tell, it did not have bed access. I may be wrong, but that was my observation.

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'm not a fan of the Avalanche.. since day 1, I have been shocked that a $40K truck would have a glass window that has to be removed, so that you can convert it to pass stuff through. :rolleyes:

Tell me what the difference is between a regular truck, and an Avalanche.. and that's how much you are paying for one inferior design. ;)

Where was the guy that designed the Envoy XUV?
    Now THAT guy was on the ball!

The Envoy XUV is similarly ludicrously priced...
    But at least that truck is truly transformable. ;)
    On the Envoy XUV, there's a bulkhead behind the rear seats, just like the Avalanche... but it's got a power window that rolls down inside of it, before it flips down if you choose to extend the bed.

That's actually a pretty slick design...
    It can be like an SUV, rear window and roof closed, bulkhead window down...
    It can be like a truck with a little bed... rear window motored down, roof motored open, rear bulkhead behind the rear seats window motored up - cab secure!
    And it can be like a truck with a big bed... rear seats flipped forward, rear bulkhead window motored down, and the rear bulkhead flipped forward to make the front part of the bed floor.

Compare that to the Avalanche.
    I have to pop out a window... and do what with it?
    Come on.

Not to mention, you ever lower the tailgate and look into the bed?
    I'll be damned if that tailgate and bed floor isn't 3 feet off the ground.
    How useful is that?
    Have fun lifting cargo...

And the styling... didn't GM learn their lesson from criticisms of their Pontiac Aztek mistake?
    You know, they actually offer an option... called a "naked Avalanche"... that can be had without body cladding. :lol:

I'll stop... but I'm obviously not a fan...

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh, and to answer your question... there's no bed access.

To "convert" the Avalanche, you have to pop out the rear window (and stow it somewhere :rolleyes: ).
    You then flip the rear seats forwards, like in an SUV.
    You then unlatch and fold that rear bulkhead forward and down into the floor of your interior.

So when the bulkhead is up, the cabin is sealed... there's no getting to the bed.

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

geo not a Fan of a Domestic ... no way lol...............

Just Kidding, I dont like them either

but they are not really any higher than other full size Trucks, Infact I think my Truck is slightly higher at the tail gate than the new avalanches

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hence why I am a fan of lowered trucks.. much handier! B)

And I'm not bashing domestics... I spent the whole post praising the Envoy XUV... except for it's ludicrous price tag.

If it were me, I'd prefer one that wasn't aimed at the retirement crowd...
    Take away the leather interior, make the price tag $30K, and I wouldn't complain...
    But it's not worth $40K, slick as it is... particularly when it looks like a soccer-mom-mobile. :lol: