Check this out

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by aznboi3644, Nov 19, 2006.

1. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

2. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

meant to protect the battery? - what a goofball.

meant to keep things from catching on fire.. mainly the wire.

I'm suprised.. usually the roe guys are quick to jump on things like that..

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

i know...Adire Tempests suck lol

4. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

All this time....I thought the fuse protected the speaker's voice coil???

Wow what a newb I am!!!

lol

Willy

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i thought the fuse was to protect everything from catching fire or welding itself to things.

i was told to put a fuse as close to the batt as possible because if your in an accident and your batt shorts out on the car. it blows that fuse and wont let the wire catch fire.

also one in the back for the same reason.any"whatever" will blow the fuse first before any fire can start.

am i right?or off on something.
    my first attempt at a system did not have a fuse at the batt and well to make a long story short.you could see where the wire was running.this happend at 3:30 am.at a red light.burned my hand too.had to rip that thing off of my batt.

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, good point...

I should join that forum.......

Nah, you guys got it under control!!!!!!!!!! Some folks just dont get it.......

I like th epost from the guy that uses NO fuses!!!!!!! When his car burns to the ground, let me know, i will then join and laugh at him!!!!!

7. TheViking

I feel another topic coming up, one on a second battery installation!!!!!!!!

8. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok viking.you dont like caps.and a second batt dont seem to bother you.then whats a battcap.

9. TheViking

battcap, that is a hat that smacks you in the face everytime you think you think that a PG product is a quality product!!!!!!!

BURN!!!

10. TheViking

Now, leave me alone, i am witing about a freeking second battery installation!!!!!!!!

11. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

In the case of fusing the amp feed wire from the battery, the reason you fuse is in the case of a short to ground....When you have a dead short to ground (like the wire being pinched or if were to rub on a metal (ground) surface) between the battery and the end of the cable.....When the wire shorts to ground that means it takes it's path to ground WITHOUT going through a load and it will run as much current throught the wire as your battery can put out (700 amps or more)...That much current will cause so much heat that is will melt the wire and the insulation and we all no how easy it is to catch carpeting and other wiring/insulation on fire.....

You want to fuse as close to the battery as possible, because that will protect as much of that wire as possible....The closer to the battery, hopefully the less likely it is to get shorted to ground....Whatever current draw your amps are gonna draw, you want to fuse a little higher than that. If you fuse at 60 amps and your amplifiers pull 80 amps, your fuse will blow....

Basically a fuse is a device with a lead element that is disigned to melt with x amount of current flowing through it....if the current exceeds the rated amount, the lead melts and causes the voltage/current to stop flowing through the circuit....

Also, If you run cable back to your amps and bring it into a distro box, each run from the distro (of smaller guage) should be fused also and that will be determined by the current flow of each of those circuits...if you have one 100 amp fuse right near the battery and you split your 4 guage wire into 3 or 4 8 guage to feed each amp, if one of the 8 guage wires gets shorted, it will melt and burn long before the 100 amp fuse near the battery fails....

Willy

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Adding to Willy's...always fuse when going from bigger gauge to smaller gauge