Cheap SQ Sub

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Honest Bob, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I am looking for a 12" or 15" SQ sub that will work great in a 1 cube box. Preferably 4 ohms, but dual 4 is acceptable. In the price range of $150 - $200 .

I will be feeding the sub with my JBL 1200.1 but in the future I would like to get another cadence amp for the sub.

I've looked at:

Infinity Perfect 12"
    ED 12K - $120 :eek:
    ED 12O - $160 :eek:

I thought I have seen the ED subs around yet on their site it says they wont be out till the first of June?
    I suppose the 12k and the 12O kill the Perfect SQ wise but wasnt shure. Any other subs to check out?
    I looked at the IDMAX but couldnt seem to find a price anywhere. I have looked at the Brahma but I really dont have the money, though I could probably cough up the cash if it really is that much better than all the rest.

2. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

If you don't have the money for a Brahma, then you won't have the money for an IDMAX. Sounddomain sells the IDMAX if you're still curious. The IDQ series by ID is a possibility, though. As is the Type R, and W3v2. You will not find a 15" that sounds good in 1 cu. ft (if it would even FIT in a 1 cube enclosure).

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yea, it will be hard to find a 15 that will work in that small of a box.

I can personally vouch for the IDQ's, excellent SQ subs. You're still looking at around $140 for a 12".

The Elemental K's are undergoing a little facelift, and the new versions won't be out for a little while.

My vote will have to go to the IDQ especially since their optimum sealed box is right at 1 cube.

4. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

I dont know about the K series "killing" the Perfects. the perfects really are some amzing SQ subs.

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I'll have to check out the IDQ, Type R, and the W3 V2. I am kinda leaning towards the 12K though. Its so damn cheap.

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

The IDQ is definitely in the same price range as the e12k. I just sold one of my IDQ's to flawlesskid who also happens to have an e12k. You really need to talk to him. Hopefully he'll check this thread and reply.

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I like the IDQs and Perfects of that list for SQ subs. I had some Perfects a while back, and they were very nice subs. Chris' (BlkX) IDQs really impressed me. I mean they really impressed me. The Ks are pretty nice and all, but for SQ, both of these subs will edge it. Besides, like Chris said, the Ks aren't going to be out for a while, and they are going through a change. New build house, new materials, and I'm sure some new specs. All reasons to be a bit leary at this point in time.

Personally I wonder if you have a little extra room. 1.5 or so? Dare I suggest a Shiva (my favorite low cost SQ sub) or it's flashy cousin the DPL12
    [​IMG]

It is worth much more IMHO. Unstoppable.

8. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

How did i know he'd suggest that? :)

9. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

****AND HE APPEARS FROM THE FOG......**** :ph34r:

YEAH, i got the lil wimpy idq sittin here in my room awaiting install. It looks wimpy, but i just installed one in my roommates taurus in a tiny ass enclosure (.79 cubes) and i must say it suprised the hell out of me. first time i heard just a single idq. From what i've heard, it sounds damn good. I'm gonna agree with chris and seth here, the idq has a sq edge over the E12k of old. Though the e12k is a great woofer, i think the idq just has the sq edge. To be honest, i'm not sure the e12k is going back in my car. gonna play around with both in the same enclosure and see which i like best though. I'm leaning more towards sq at this point, and the idq is gonna most likely be the sub of choice for my BIG UPCOMING BATTLE WITH THE "ALMIGHTY NAT"! HEHE.

Go over to carmedia1.com and get you an idq 12v2.

10. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

IDQ it is!

now to find a job....

11. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

not sure if you can call a sub that is made for completely different encosures, and has completely different arcitecture and design the cousin to another sub :p besides the fact that one is dipole and the other isnt)

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Space, tell me what is a Dipole application and what is differant about the enclosures? The woofers rear (basket and motor structure) design is differant. What is done to it is to "streamline" the drivers structure to eliminate any air turbulance, rattleing, clanking, or slapping. All are pervailant in any driver not specifically designed for inverted applications.

It will work great in simple sealed and ported applications as well, in similar enclosure as the Shiva.

For a bit more info...

I hope this helps clear that up ;)

13. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Yep, you beat me to that one seth. I did some reading up on dipole subs and applications not too long ago, and thought that DPL12 would probably be a kickass sub for any application.