Car speakers used at home?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by ajackson141, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ajackson141

ajackson141 Full Member

So my mom and dad bought a new home audio set up. What they had is about 10 to 15 years old, they arnt anything too great but me being me I cant let anything be tossed out to the trash. The 6.5 inch woofers were bad in the speakers. I had bought a pair of type R alpine components for my trans am, but I dont have everything to put them in yet. Is it going to hurt anything to put my type R component woofers in these old speakers for the time being?

2. steve

steve Full Member

Well that depends on if you are hooking them into a existing crossover network,you cant run 2 crossovers and expect good out of it.Plus can the amp handle the lower ohm load(i am thinking the factory spkrs are 8ohm and what you are trying to use is 4ohm). If you're just putting in the woofers and the home amp can handle the load..no problem.:D

3. ajackson141

ajackson141 Full Member

yes, the home speakers are 8 ohm, idk what the type R alpines are, but they seem to sound good. Iv got the speakers hooked to my yamaha receiver. Its an older unit but was very expensive new. I think its pushing close to 100 watts per ch. I love it. Thanks for the responce!

4. soulfly

soulfly Full Member

most home recievers are 8 ohm stable. i've blown channels in the past by using 4 ohm loads on my bash amp. first one blew, months later another, till i had 1 channel left. It may handle it fine for years or just weeks, but it is a strain on the amp.

5. Vines

Vines Full Member

Do some research online with your Yamaha RX in see if it can handle a 4ohm load. You dont want to find out the hard way, do you?