Building A Box For Solo X 18

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by DatDude08, May 21, 2009.

1. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok, so my friend is insane and is getting a solo x 18 and he wants me to build the box which I am sure I can do (with help). I just need to know the port dimensions cause we are going with a slotted port. The max dimensions are 39Lx24Dx24H. We are thinking we should do 10 cubic feet for volume which would put the box at 39x24x22. If somebody could design a better box for deep bass then please do so, but, if not, does this sound good? Also, how should I do the bracing?

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Now thats a Large Box, can you provide us with a link to the manufacturers web site. I'd like to see their recommendations for tuning.

opps, its past my bed time

3. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Kicker has nothing, but here you go. My friend called Kicker and the guy told him like 5 cubic feet but thats the minimum according to sonicelectronix. Its going in the back of an HHR so hes got the space.

Its past my bed time also.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i have a friend that ran one,his was in a 8cuft box in the back of a f150. i also know of another person with one in his roof of his cherokee with a 10 cuft box.

i have pics...

Attached Files:

5. pedro quiroga

it was tuned real low. did a 143@ 30hz. you never heard it, just felt it. his truck was solid too,very well deadened.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  6. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

dude i want one of those so bad....
    there just so expensive !:(

7. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Yea I know. I'm not sure where he gets the money. He has a Rockford 2000 mono amp, had 2 P3 15s and now is getting this. And he works at McDonalds of all places.

So, what would be the recommended tuned frequency?

8. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok I have been playing with the RE box calculator and this is what I have come up with:

Width - 39
    Height - 20
    Depth - 26

Port Height - 18.5
    P. Width - 6.5
    Square P L1 - 18.75
    S P. L2 - 12

Box Volume - 6.95 ft^3
    Tuned Freq - 30.4318 (Fb)

What do you guys think?

9. pedro quiroga

who?......

10. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

The friend who I'm building the box for.

11. pedro quiroga

oh ok. i got lost for a sec.lol

12. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I should have been more specific :p.

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I think your friend is in over his head. I wouldn't even think about going with a SoloX 18 if ATLEAST 3-4000 watts is available. Also to sustain an electrical system that big you need atleast a 250-300 amp alternator or two HO alternators...a couple extra batteries.

Does your friend really wanna go through with this?? I'm not dogging you or anything. A lot a people bite off a lot more than they can chew.

14. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK lets keep the box size. I like it. But lets make a minor change to the port. The height is 18.5 but I would change the width to 5.5-inches. This would make our port length around 24-inches. This will keep our tuning around 30 -32 HZ.

With your larger port (it will work) the length of the port becomes longer and it takes up more volume. I would rather have the additional volume.

How long is the port in your specs? I'm getting around 40-inches

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  15. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

In the specs its at 41.25

I'm not following you though. You say making it 5.5 wide will reduce the length to 24? Could you maybe elaborate on that a bit more? Thanks for the help.

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Please refer to the equation in this thread
    http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7885
    post #7

The numerator portion has to do with port size, If the demoninator remains constant and the numerator (port size) increases the port length increases. The opposite is also true. If the port size decreases the length also decreases.

Your port WILL work, and the larger port might perform slighty better. (after all, at port tuning frequency the port makes almost all the sound)

My sightly more volume (7.9 cu ft compared to your 6.9 cu ft.) will allow the woofer to perform better across a wider frquency range. (only slightly wider)

Both boxes willl have similar performance characteristics. Flip a coin and build one.

17. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok thanks for your help. I think I'll just stick with the 6.5" port. If he decided he wanted it to have some wider range later would adding polyfill be a way to help that?

18. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes it will. But I think you'll be please with the performance of either box

So build it and let us know how it turns out.

19. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok. Should be done by wednesday. I may try and get some build pics while I'm at it. Oh, and how should it be braced?

20. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

just brace anything you think is flimsy enough. typically a horizontal and vertical brace. i like dowel rods for volume reasons. depending on the design you'll probably want to double baffle it as well.