box tuned at 24.96 for sub with 33 hz fs?

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by kcox669live, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

hi everyone. i've been stalking lot's of forums for a while now but this is the first one i've joined so i figured i'd show my face. i have a calculator that tells me to tune my box to 24.96 hz, the fs of my sub is 33 hz. this didn't sound right to me so i kept researching and came across another calculator that had a table with qts ratings down the left side. qts for my sub is .53 which wasn't even on the table so i extended said table to get a number to multiply by the fs. it also told me that i can tune the box that low. are these calculators correct? can i tune my enclosure that much lower than the fs of my sub because of the high qts rating? thanks for any help

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Different methods of calculations are used by different programs. Many are accurate and many or very "generic"... On websites, i couldnt tell you what is the best to use. But Tuning that low, say around 25 Hz, will yeild not a whole lot of gain....... Might aim for along the lines of 35-40hz, in car response will be much better and you will be much happier with the end results. At least in my opinion

3. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

thank you for the reply viking, but i used the same program to test a few tuning frequencies. 25 hz falls off around 22 hz and remains close to flat to 90 hz. i checked 37 hz which falls off at around 30 hz and gains 6 db at 40 hz. i have my subs in a pre-fab box but it sounds pretty good, not sure what it's tuned to. for the type of music i listen to i was thinking tune low, maybe 29 hz at the highest. low end extension is what i'm thinking. i want it to sound as if i am center stage at a weedeater show but is it safe to tune that much lower than the fs? am i on the right track?

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

yes you can tune lower than Fs. But again, i dont recomend a low tuning. The transfer function of the vehicle will reinforce the lows, and genrally speaking most all musical content does not go much below 30Hz. Basically try different vents at different frequencies, and do some critical listening....PVC pipe is fairly cheap!

5. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

good point, lol. i guess i can do that, i have a sealed box that i could do that to, it's too big for my subs sealed but very close to net of a ported. good idea. thanks again TheViking

6. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

my box 2.jpg my box.jpg

Hey Viking, thought I'd post some pics of the enclosure you and ranger helped me with.

7. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

my enclosure 4.jpg View attachment 3029

Words can not describe how much better this enclosure sounds compared to the pre-fabed one I had them in.

This box is 2 cu. ft. net with a 3in. X 11in. slot port tuned to 36hz.

Thanx for all your help, awesome site.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011