Box for 2 DP 21s

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by liftedranger08, Oct 21, 2010.

1. liftedranger08

liftedranger08 Full Member

Im getting ready to start on a box for a buddy. Hes got 21" Incriminator Audio Death Penaltys and 2 sundown 3500s. The box is 14.5 cubes tuned to 28hz. Its going in a tahoe. I told him that 33hz would be low enough to still hit lows but he is dead set on 28hz. What yall think of the design?

[​IMG]

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

28Hz tuning is pointless to be honest... I am pretty sure he will want it loud what with the drivers he has... Tuning much below 40 Hz in any automotive application is really kind of crazy. If i had some T?S parameters for those drivers i might just play with them in a few programs.....

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i thought the lower the tune the better the SQ, and the higher the louder?

my last box was tuned at or around 28~30, and it had a low note that you could feel. it sounded pretty good with most all of my music.

4. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I'm with pedro on this one,I've had the same subs in 4 different enclosures and I tuned lower each time.The lower I tuned the better it sounded.I havn't tuned below 32hz though.

5. liftedranger08

Well i redesigned it with 6" aeros. Heres a pic. Im tuning to 32 hz.
    [​IMG]

6. TheViking

I understand your guys points... A box will sound good in the mobile enviorment with a low tuning...but to be real about this, it dont make much sense...to tune a box at the lowest octave of human hearing is not the best thing to do. As has been mentioned in many threads by me and others, virtually all music does not go below 35 Hz....give or take.

If the guy wants it loud and low...go with a 35 or 40 Hz tuning... TRUST ME...it will rock!

let the box work in favor of low and loud..and let the transfer function of the vehicle enhance it..... A low tuning only enhances the sub harmonic crap from a turntable LOL!

Seriously...I can only say so much....I have been in this field longer than most have been alive! LOL!!!!!! Ya it sucks gettin old...but you do retain a few things that matter...and sound is one I have not forgotten...

The gain of the mid and upper sub bass frequencies is where we want the most output...

the gain below 35 Hz...its a waste. I would not even do a home audio sub tuned that low....

OK...I am done...LOL! I hope ranger gets in here and backs ne up at least a lil bit! LOL!

7. ericj

ericj Full Member

I have to agree with Viking on this. My setup sounded good tuned at 31Hz, but it sounds so much better, louder, and deeper at 42Hz. Mine's in a small hatchback and since this is for a Tahoe, maybe it's the right way to go.To each his own. ;) I'm certainly not an expert on such things.

8. liftedranger08

I understand what yall are saying. I know i wouldnt tune that low for me, but i cant change his mind. I am going to up it to 32 hz tho.

9. TheViking

Just cut the ports a little shorter.....he wont know the difference....then when it rocks out and rips his face off with low bass......tell him its tuned at 40Hz!!!! LOL!

10. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

i've had a fewer higher tuned boxes from 38-42hz and i had one box that was tuned to 32-33hz...i'd have to say the lower tuned one was by far the loudest, best sounding one i've had to date. i wish i didnt throw it away :(

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  11. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

It must be cabin gain thats making up the difference for me cause the single 15" I'm running now hits way harder and cleaner than any other setup I've had.I'm only feeding this sub 440 watts rms,but the sensitivity is 96 1w/1m.

By the way Ranger,your design looks good to me.I like it!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  12. pedro quiroga

my guess is that anyone adding 2 21 inch subs isnt listening to reg music. if its slowed down stuff the lower tune will make for a nasty low end monster.

like i said before. my last box killed the low notes on my demo stuff, and sounded great to awsome with the rest of my music. i wasn't going for loud numbers just a great sounding enclosure.

now i just need to redo a box for 1 12 that comes close to my last box in sound and i'll be good.

13. liftedranger08

Well i stopped progress on my door pods so i can start on this box. :) Heres some pics.

Pieces cut out
    [​IMG]

The main part screwed and glued
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ports drawn out on the end.
    [​IMG]

14. liftedranger08

Well i changed back to a slot port bc the aeros wouldnt fit across the box. I got the bottom on and the port cut out. :)

[​IMG]

45 in the corner
    [​IMG]

15. liftedranger08

Well the guy said he wanted a little design on the back of the box so you can see it when the hatch is open. We came up with the idea of putting the chevy logo on it. What yall think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Liftedranger08, keep posting those pics. I love to see good work

We always do what the customer wants, thats our job.

I do believe thats right, but thats because the relative gain drops. As we tune lower, the response becomes flat. However, the F3 point will remain nearly the same regardless of tuning. A box tuned at 40Hz and the same box tuned at 30Hz have the same ability to produce a 25Hz frequency.

If we need to lower the F3 point, we need to increase the size of the box.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  17. liftedranger08

Well the subs came in yesterday. They are sweet looking. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got more work done on the box today. I got the 45 on the back of the box cut out and the outer hole cut out. Putting the bracing in tomorrow and screwing the top down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. liftedranger08

I got some more progress done tonite. :) the sub holes are cut and routered. Tomorrow ill put the bracing in and finish sanding and hopefully it will be done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. pedro quiroga

looks good..... and heavy!!

20. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Jared you do some dam good work man. We havent talked in a while. Ill get on fb now haha