Boston Tweeters

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by slovell, Feb 28, 2011.

1. slovell

slovell Member

I've got a set of Boston S60 components in my front doors powered by an Alpine V12 amp. I don't really care for the sound from the tweeters, I'm OK with the woofers. The tweets sound dry and screechy at volume and I'd like to replace them with something else. The Bostons are 3/4" but I can easily fit in a 1" tweeter in their present location. Does anyone have any opinions/recommendations for something in the $125 and under range that I could replace them with? I listen to classic rock, blues, and some smooth jazz. I'd like to get something that's smooth and detailed.
    Thanks, Sam

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Many (but not all) Metal dome tweeters, in my opinion, sound a little harsh as volume increases. Many silk dome tweeters have the best overall sound, but cheap cost typically means cheap crossovers. Cheap crossovers mean bad sound.

Most tweeters using a 18dB per octave crossover should sound good, but I would still look for a silk dome. In any case, I always build my own tweeter crossover, regardless of brand.

The tweeters in my truck are Polk Audio DX3000, in my wifes car I have a pair of older Morels. In every case, they use 18dB per octave crossovers built by me.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

I agree with Ranger on this. Soft dome tweets using silk or some other fabric typically have a more natural sound are not as "peaky" at some frequencies. Thin metal has inherit natural resonances that are part of the cause. Mylar diaphrams also exhibit some of these charactoristics. At least in my opinion. Soft domes of high quality will give you what you are looking for in your taste of music. ...Also the handmade x-overs will be a plus...

As for brands, go have a listen and see what sounds good to you.