Blowing fuse at the battery

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by monster71, Aug 30, 2010.

1. monster71

monster71 Full Member

I knows it me and my bass habit. First i was blowing subs. Went to the 10 in type R, so far so good. Now I keep blowing the fuse on the power wire at the battery. I know its because I push the amp hard. I can listen to it pretty loud and all is good. But when I turn it up along with the bass i blow the fuse after about 4 minutes. The in line fuse is 30 amps. The amp doesnt have a fan and is mounted in the trunk. I think it blows due to excessive heat. Can this happen? All grounds are good. Will getting an amp with better heat disipation fins and a built in fan help? Especially since i tend to push my amp. Thx.

2. ericj

ericj Full Member

A 30 amp fuse probably isn't large enough. What kind of amp are you running? A 30A fuse is probably only good for a draw of about 300 watts. I have a 100A circuit breaker in my car and have never tripped it, but had a couple 75A fuses blow before I got it.

Solution: Get a higher rated fuse. Since it's primarily meant to protect against a short anyways, too large isn't a big deal, but too small can be problematic, as you're experiencing.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010