Blaupunkt Boston CC 22 Power issue

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Favorit, May 19, 2011.

1. Favorit

Favorit Member

Here is my fairly specific problem...

The radio gets no power when key is turned to aux position, then once the engine is started the radio shows "----" on the screen, as if wrong code is entered. The moment ignition key flicks back to aux mode with engine running theres no power to radio again. I tried waiting an hour as per manual but of course the radio is turning off, so that hour is irrelevant? Seems more like an issue with power source?

Just to clarify - in order to keep the radio on I would have to hold the ignition key turned all the way with the starter motor whining. Not possible for the hour needed!!

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!!

2. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

You have it wired wrong. You need to find a wire that has constant power when the ignition is turned on and no power when the igniton is turned off. It sounds like you have the switched source wire from the radio harness wired to the ignnition to starter solenoid wire. This would explain why it has no power when the key is in the aux position but has power when starting the engine.

3. Favorit

Favorit Member

Hi merc, thanks for this.

I should have said that i've not fitted this myself. It was already in the car when i received it.

Would this be something I could solve on my own as someone who has no idea about car radios but can find a wire and do a bit of soldering?

I've downloaded a manual also.

Thanks again.

4. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

You will need either a volatge meeter or test light to find the wire. It won't be to hard.

Here is what should be hooked up power wise from the stereo's harness
    Black wire to ground
    Red wire to constant source
    Yellow wire to switched source

5. Favorit

Favorit Member

Upon realisation that i don't even know what a carrier is, I took the plunge and visited my local car accessory store. Brought a new sony head unit and paid for fitting. The guy did exactly as you said and used a tester on the cables and said he couldn't get a voltage from any of them. Fitting cost refunded i've kept the head unit.

The old unit was factory fitted and i'm assuming worked at some time. I know the car was recently jump started - could this be where the problem lay?

I'd hate for this to cost me a fortune!!

Any help would be fab.

6. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

It's possible a fuse or relay blew during the jump start.