battery light comes on when heavy accellerating voltage drops reving

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by kryptonitewhite, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

So I got on it today getting on the interstate, battery light came on, stayed on a few seconds then went off. Put it in neutral, reved it, nothing for a few seconds, stopped reving, light came on a few seconds. Pulled over, put DMM on front battery 14.18. Reved it up, droped to 13.2...stereo off. Checked rear batts, 14.18 running, dropped to 13.5 off, probably would have kept dropping slowly.

O'Reilley AGM in front, 2 large O'Reilley AGMs in back 100aH. Iraggi HO alt, the highest at idle lowest peak: 160-180 idle, 200-220 peak.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

is your alternator internally or exteranally regulated?

3. kryptonitewhite

i think internally, standard HO alt from Iraggi

4. ericj

ericj Full Member

Test the alternator for amperage output with amp meter (IIRC, max output should be shown at ~1200 RPM), or take it into a battery shop or car parts store (Auto Zone, NAPA, etc.) and have it tested. Could also be a loose or corroded connection somewhere in the circuit, or a failing voltage regulator.

I've always found it's best to look at the simple solutions first to rule those out, so check all your connections first.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Agreed, so check the belt. It sounds like its slipping

6. sweetescape

sweetescape Full Member

I had a Ohio gen to do this.....i thought my belt was slipping also....the gen fried and went out completly a couple days later.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. kryptonitewhite

I went to Van's today, the local rebuild shop. The guy took the big ass DMM to my battery to confirm the voltage drop, told me to pull it and bring it in for a real test, and get this ****: He told me not to add alts but add batteries! So yup, Ill go to Advanced and O'reilleys now :(

made a vid showing the drop on the van's voltmeter while driving. I dont hear any squeel, it happens even at low RPM...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5EpswPNNI

8. kryptonitewhite

Went and load tested the alt, only doing 99A (rated 160-200A @ idle 220 peak above 1500 RPM) and tested the batteries, theyre all good. Guess I gotta get ahold of Iraggi and see if it's a warranty issue. yay!

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hope its a cheap fix.

10. kryptonitewhite

me too! cant get ahold of iraggi :(

11. kryptonitewhite

pulled the Iraggi today, was gonna drop the stock back in so I have a vehicle to drive till I get it repaired and order a 2nd alt. The stock one has been sitting on a shelf in the basement since I pulled it. it didnt get wet, but it's been humid. The damn thing rusted and I cant even spin the pulley! Now what the f do I do? I am stranded at home, cant get ahold of Iraggi.

12. ericj

ericj Full Member

Sounds like you should put the Iraggi back in so you can at least drive and take your stock alt. to a battery/alternator shop for a refreshing. It's probably just the bearings or brushes that are causing it to freeze up. You could call before you take it in to see how much it'd cost for a troubleshoot, but if that's what it is, I doubt it would be too expensive to free it up.

13. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Just go to Nordstroms to the Ewe Pullit and grab one. it will be cheap i bet. Or maybe not go to the Ewe Pullit cause its a b**** to get out lol I bet they have one on the shelves for cheap too. Just to be able to drive. THen use that money I gave you and buy more batteries! haha

14. kryptonitewhite

lol now find someone to buy the other 2! :D I LOVE your friggen car, youre way too modest about it. Its pretty sweet.

I know a lot of people are gonna talk ****, but 4 separate forums have said the same thing. But it never fails, anything I do, so many people think they gotta say sumthin stupid and when I get mad Im told not to over react.

I was told to spray her down. So I did. Do I need to use anything to remove it from the pulley after it sits over nite?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not sprayed yet, wood that got wet previousely

[​IMG]

not sprayed yet

[​IMG]

sprayed

[​IMG]

15. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

thanks man. Its alright. Its nice when its all cleaned up but that dam RAIN! haha but I would just use some good degreaser on the pulley.

16. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I'm not sure what youre trying to do. Remove the fan pulley off your old Alt?

Alot of rebuilt Alts come with a new pulley.

If you need that pulley, you'll need an impact wrench, prolly 1/2 in drive to spin that nut off, unless the alt is so seized that it doesn't move even under force.

If you're spraying the Alt with penetrating oil to free it so it will work again, I wouldn't waste your time. You'll end up snapping your belt.

If the alt doesn't spin, its dead. Most likely the bearings are shot which you can rebuild in a kit, but its usually easier, faster, and sometimes cheaper to just buy a rebuilt one from Autozone.

17. kryptonitewhite

the bearings didnt wear out, humidity jsut made the whole thing surface rust

ill bolt it to a board and use a wrench to break it free first and see how it spins if i manage

18. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I can't imagine just surface rust from humidity locking up and alternator that badly, but hey its worth a shot I guess.

Good Luck!

19. kryptonitewhite

brought the HO alt and the stock alt back to Vans, talked to the owner this time. What a difference. We had a blast going back and forth, guy knows his ****. The brush tensioner spring went bad. He replaced the assembly for me and I gave him my stock alt. I know he came out ahead, but my HO alt works great so I don't care!

20. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

good news! see it was something simple and cheap.