Bandpass Subwoofer Design

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by vincenzo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo Full Member

Hi everyone

I've made a fair few sealed and vented boxes over the years for a variety of speaker sizes, but haven't made a bandpass box yet.

I've uploaded the WinISD Pro files i've come up with, for a Kicker 15" CVR sub and a ~130 litre box, and I'd like to know if i'm doing things correctly here :confused:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/1/2388202/Kicker CVR152.wdr

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/1/2388202/Kicker CVR152 bp.wpr

I forgot to work on the ports! I think the port velocity of the front chamber would be fine with a second standard port added, so the front port velocity would be ~23.5m/s, and I think the rear port velocity is fine as it is. I'd probably end up making rectangular ports however, if I was to make this box.

I tried a few different 12" and 15" subs, and the Kicker CVR 15" seemed to give the best response in a box this size.

I'd appreciate any input in either my box design, or perhaps another sub which could offer improoved sound quality with a similar spl, or a higher spl with less power... or possibly both :confused: Without using a larger box that is, say 150 litres maximum, including subby and port volumes.

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I had not done many bandpass boxes, only two in 12-years of installing. From what I read in your post, you are going to port both the front and rear chamber.

I need the thiele/ small parameters and what units those parameters are in, for example, is VAS in liters, cu ft, cu inches or cu meters.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Years ago I built many designs..some were complete failures, others would absolutely blow your mind. If your looking for a design that will tear your face off with SPL, the right driver in the right bandpass box will do amazing things. I personally have a design for an old Orion XTR12 SVC, 137dB with a discplacement limited power handling of 650 watts from 40Hz - 100Hz, If I remember all the numbers right. That was in the mid 90's...Thats incredible for ONE 12 incher back in the day!

I would like to play around with this also. As my friend Ranger stated we need to know the driver parameters and also need to know how much power, and what kind of music, also would be nice to iknow the vehicle it is going into. But be forewarned, It is easier to launch a woofer in a dual reflex enclosure, Due to not hearing any distortion and if you play music that exceeds the lower frequencies of the design, it will essentially (the woofer) think it is in a free air enviorment. This type of enclosure is a whole different animal! Also, not all woofers like to be in this type of box. Ya, any woofer will work, but Power handling charactoristics change quite a bit.

4. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

I am going to venture into the bandpass world very soon. There is a lot to learn though. I am tuned in guys. Please everyone, share your knowledge. We are eager to learn.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo Full Member

Yep, i'm planning on porting both the front and rear chambers :D

The driver parameters I used are in the first .wdr file I linked, and some of the values are a little different to Kicker's specs, due to WinISD insisting certain relationships between all the TS specs :confused: I've always just accepted this in the past. As for Kicker's quoted T/S specs for the 07CVR152, the're on page two here:

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/CVR_0.pdf

I like to play almost everything, depending on the mood. Old stuff, classical, rock, metal, techno, R&B, rap, whatever. My aim is to have a clear & smooth response with as small a size, trying not to use alot of power, and 120db would be plenty for me. I dunno what car this is going to go into, i'm just playing with designs for know, probably because I haven't made any subby boxes for a few years :(

According to WinISD Pro available free here:

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?download=winisdpro

The box I designed with the Kicker CVR 15" would only make up to 117.7db @400w, but I think it was a broad response, as it was over 117.5db from 40-50hz, and over 113db from 29hz-76hz. At 300w it hit 116.5db which is enough, i'd probably go with that. I thought the delay times were good, gradually getting to a worst of 20ms, and the cone excursion didn't go over 9.5mm @400w... but all this is according to WinISD, which has always seemed to be very accurate at designing sealed and vented boxes. What software do you guys use?

Those old Orion's sound interesting :eek: Was it a peaky response to get such a high spl from one 12? They must have been efficient! I also tried making boxes from AE 15" which had over 94db effeciency, but I couldn't get a smooth response out of them from <150 litre total bandpass enclosure.

6. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

has any one put a L5/L7/solox in a bandpass? if so what are the box specs and tuning freq?

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

This box is pretty big, a bit larger than your 150 liters. I'm gonna run the 12-inch woofer also after dinner and see what I get

Attached Files:

8. TheViking

I should have mentioned.....that was in the vehicle, so transfer function gave it an addtional 10dB give or take. So a more accurate statement would be about 127dB....my bad:oops:

9. vincenzo

vincenzo Full Member

I tried simulating the L5 and L7 in a bandpass Connerray2010, but they needed around ~150w more than the CVR subs for the same SPL iirc, as they are a bit less efficient. According to WinISD, the L5 and L7 can outperform the CVR subs in terms of SPL if you give them some more watts, as they have a greater excursion ability.

In either case though, I couldn't get the L5 or the L7 to respond as smooth/flat response from ~30-80hz, and they weren't as quick/had worse delay times - all of this is under the restriction of 150 litres total however.
    I haven't tried the solox, a bit pricey and way more power than I want.

That's an interesting box Ranger SVO, is that with a Kicker CVR 15"?
    And what spl did you get, and with how many watts?

So what criticism's can you guys give me about my box?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What other brands/models of sub should I be checking out?
    That's still a nice SPL for one 12" Viking... I'll have to try some boxes with an Orion in them!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK forget the 12, It flat don't like bandpass. In fact both woofers are not the best choice for bandpass or ported enclosures. The 15 is definately better than the 12

Here is the 15-inch in a ported box

Attached Files:

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes thats with the CRV 15. If you look at the box properties it will show you the size of each chamber and the port size and length. I'll have to run a few more simulations to try to fine tune it better. But I think thats about it for that woofer

My input power is set at 500-watts and I'm just looking a relative gain. SPL can be misleading because we cannot accurately predict vehicle gain.

12. TheViking

from what i see vince, that box is very strong in the 40-60Hz range. with a nice roll off on either side. Its not excessively peaky like alot of designs so it should maintain some nice SQ. To get a bit more gain, for more spl, try playin around with tuning frequncies on you vents. Might raise the low side a bit. Should show a sharper drop off at the lower registers, but the ovarall gain will increase a bit. Similiar to a standard vented box. Also smaller volumes will add a bit to the gain..to a point. Also, some drivers will perform better in a single reflex design better than a dual reflex design. Lots to play with in this realm of box designs

13. TheViking

BTW...still tryin to get my box program to run in "wine" on this linux system..might have to reboot to windows and play with this.

Just outta curiousity Ranger, put that 12 in about half a cubic foot sealed, firing into a front chamber about 1.5 cubic feet with a tuning of around 75Hz...see what happens

14. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Looks like Mount Kilimanjaro, its got a 9dB peak. Not a nice box

15. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

"Vincenzo" could you put that in dumb a$s terms lol. So if I throw 150-200 more watts to the L5 or l7 they will pound harder but a little sloppier? Complete spl set up? I'm confused.

16. vincenzo

vincenzo Full Member

I've been playing with the Kicker S15L72 Connerray, and I can't get a nice response out of it in bandpass, unless I make the box huge, like ~250litres.

WinISD reports 120db@57hz 400hz, from a 100 litre vented box tuned to 26hz, but it's fairly peaky, down to 115db@40hz, and 110.9db@30hz - some like it like that, but not me cos then most bass beats will start to sound a little similar, which just makes everything get boring and annoying to me. I like a broad/smooth response, so the subby will only amplify the bass.

The S15 delay gets rough in a bandpass, alternating from quick to a little sloppy across the bass range, but in the vented box it's fairly quick. It seems to be a good sub for people that want a bit of a peaky response from a med/small box. In a sealed 100 litre box, it was still peaky, and only about 2db down, with a very quick response all the way down low.

Ranger SVO, you mention that these Kicker subs aren't the best choice for a bandpass box. Which subs do you reccomend I try?
    And what do you think of WinISD? I think i've used Bassbox years ago, would have been a way older version.

TheViking, I wanted to have a smooth response down to 30hz at least, as I like those ultra low earthquake deep rumbles as much as any other bass. I was actually expecting that maybe someone would say the box I designed was too small, and didn't go down low as it could.

I also just tried one Orion in a bandpass, the XTR152, and didn't get a nice response out of it, performed similar to a solobaric for me, but i've only tried that one so far. Can you also reccomend any subs for me to try and get a nice response out of a small box?

17. TheViking

One of the benefits of a bandpass enclosure is the gain acroos a certain bandwidth. the wider the bandwidth, the less gain within that bandwidth,... With that said, and you wanting a small box from the sounds of it, might I suggest using an 10 inch driver or perhaps 2) 8 inch drivers. I have used 6 inchers before with phenomal response. But do not forget that a well designed sealed or vented box will give great results. The transfer function (cabin gain as some say), will enhance any design you utilize giving you more bottom end when placed in the vehicle. Just wanted to give you something else to chew on.....

18. vincenzo

vincenzo Full Member

What I like about the Kicker CVR15" in bandpass, is that it can get a similar spl as vented, but it can go a little more deep, instead of dropping off sharply at ~35hz, and in a high gain vented the cone excursion goes nuts down low, so a high pass filter would be needed, further reducing a bit of the deep rumbles.

Not a big deal I guess, but I've always wanted to make a bandpass box anyway :D
    I've made quite a few vented and sealed boxes over the years, for everything from 4" up to 18" - 18" was my favourite, that thing went deeeep :cool: It was ~220 litres though :eek:

I don't mind sacrificing spl to have a nice wide response and a small/med box, ~120db is enough for me.

Tell me Viking and Ranger, what other subs should I try having a play with?

19. TheViking

I understand. But one thing, could you PLEASE use American measurements! LOL! Litres mean nothing to me. We like the "cubic feet" kind of volume here! You know , inches and such! LOL!

I have been out of the current market for subs for some time, i wish i could give you some guidance in this area, but I wont.....I dont want to steer you wrong. All I can say is hopefully some other memebers will chime in with drivers that perform well in small enclosures.

Interesting side note here....for a really small box, a driver designed to work in an infinite baffle has proven itself. They have a high efficiency genrally and due to the driver not needing a box, they dont care what they are put in...to a point.