aznboi3644....

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Willy D, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Don't know if you followed any of the threads on my 8" subs or not...Here goes...

I built a box first that was sealed to ED specs and put 2 of these 8's in....Ran the subs off my Kenwood 9152 amp....Weak...seemed to hit low but not hard...I want SQ bass not boom boom...I listen to a wide variety of music from heavy old rock to new stuff, to electric fusion stuff....anyway...

Someone had designed a box for me before on here and so I built that...Four 8's in a ported box...38" or 39" long, 16" deep and 11" high...two ports, both 4" I.D. and 14" long....This box plays low, very low but still sounds like a$$...No hit from kick drum or low toms...If I played a bass mechanix CD or rap, it would probably rattle your teeth, but I won't even put the box in the Tahoe as it sounds bad....

I am switching amps...Kenwood is out and I am buying a nice used JL 450/4..that is gonna run subs and my front stage (infinity reference separates and for now one 12" W1 JL sub, soon to be two subs)...I may use my Soundstream Rubicon to run the rear speakers (infinity reference coaxials)...

anyway, my point with all of this is before I turn these ED 8's into boat anchors or paper weights, I wanted your opinion on a box...I am looking for SQ...I am looking for nice TIGHT MUSICAL bass....

Your thoughts??

Willy

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

what vehicle???

How much space??

a 4th order bandpass might be the trick

3. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

2001 Tahoe

I can go the width of it (bout 48") 16-18 high..maybe 14 deep...Bandpass?? I always thought they sounded like ass...I wanna be able to hit low too...Wouldnt the bandpass cut the low point out?

4. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

a prefab would. Not a correctly designed one by azn!

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

johnny....still interested in the video stuff? Your PM box is full

Willy

6. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

yes! Definstely, pm me a few pics? And model numbers please. Sorry I didn't notice it was full.

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

4th orders do not sound like ass...prefabs do because the volumes and tunings are arbitrary.

Your old enclosure seems between 2.6-2.8 cu ft net tuned between 35-35Hz. Lowering the net volume would widen the frequency bandwith at the loss of efficiency.

Same goes for ported...most prefab ported enclosures are too small and tuned too high...as are all prefab bandpasses I see....usually tuned in the 50s-60s...which is sometimes where the tuning needs to be to get a nice flat musical response...but even with the right tuning the incorrect chamber volumes can screw that response up hardcore.

parameters of the subs??

8. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I think this shows all the parameters on the left when you open it azn

http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=6620&page=6

I think the ports are just too big...Maybe letting too much out too fast and take the punch away...I dunno...before my current set up I was always a sealed box guy, but I am learning about proper boxes...The first box the guy built for me was a sealed box and we had two drivers in it...I believe he said ED said box volume should be .35 ft per sub...that is what he built. With two subs in they were weak....very weak...

Willy

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

By the way.....updates:

all the video stuff came out...HU is now and Alpine 9856...I am switching out the Kenwood 9152 for a JL 450/4...I am gonna use two channels to run subs and two channels to run my front stage...The Rubicon is gonna be used for the rear fill...

Willy