Audio source remote out -> amp remote in????

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Nerd, May 29, 2010.

1. Nerd

Nerd New Member

Hi Guys.

I am trying to build a portable stereo out of parts for a car stereo. Specifically just an amp, and four speakers. The purpose was to drag it out to open outside parties, and drag it along with me to festivals and stuff like that. So my first problem that i've encountered is, that this car-stereo-amp does not have an on-off-button. Instead it is supposed to receice some sort of signal to a remote-in-port. This from a remote-out from an audio-source (Car-radio, Car-cdplayer etc.) that has such a port.

Well... My audio source will be an iphone and it does not have a remote-out, so i was wandering... What typically comes out the remote out from the audio source and into the amp remote in?? In terms of voltage off-course. If the remote out on the car audio-source only has one purpose (to switch on and off the amp or other devices), then i thought that maybe a small dc-voltage comes out, as soon as the audio source is switched on. And then it would probably set off some transistor in the amp which pulls current from the car-battery 12 volts. Current though a relay in the transistor collector could then switch on the whole amp-circuitry. Am i right in my guessing?? And would it be wise to test this?? If i had an audio source i could off-course measure what comes out the rem-out, but i don't :( And i don't want to get one, cause the whole thing that i'm building will be running on a marinebattery, and i really don't want all kinds of unnessecary power-consuming devices in my setup.

Hope someone in here can help, thanks in advance for you replies :)