Amplifier noise interference

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by shazab_rafiq, Sep 12, 2011.

1. shazab_rafiq

shazab_rafiq New Member

I currently have an alternator whine in my audio setup. After testing various parts of my system i have discovered that the alternator whine only comes when my amp is switched to full frequency range. Atm there are two switches, one for full or sub and the other has a branch indicated of sub and is 50hz or 180hz. I currently have two 6x9 hooked up to this amp and when switching to sub the noise dissappears however returns when i switch to full. also ive now noticed that the noise gets worse when the rca cables touch the case of the amp. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Thanks in advance

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

try and move your rca's away from any power/ground sources. recheck all your connections too.

i use to have a similar problem too. i had a length of rca's running parallel with a power wire. readjusting them made the whine all but go away. it's still very faint.

also if your gain is set too hight you could amplify the noise too. does it go away if you turn the gain down?

3. shazab_rafiq

shazab_rafiq New Member

I have recently rewired the rca cables to the other side of the car. At first it was gone but now it has slowly crept back in. Turning the gains down just makes the noise less however as I start driving the noise gets louder and louder then eventually the speaker starts crackling really loudly and I have to get out and as soon as i touch the rca cable or move it it goes and the whine goes alot less again

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmmm... it could be the wire, or something in the amp. maybe a loose or broken solder joint.

does the noise go away if you unplug the rca's?

with my old 4ch i know i have a small issue in the amp as well. wiggling the rca plugs will quiet the noise for a few weeks or so. im just too lazy to open it up and check it out.

5. shazab_rafiq

shazab_rafiq New Member

hi i did initially have a crack in one of the joint but i managed to open it up and re flow that joint. Atm no noise when rca's are out. It seems to be worse when the rca wire touches the amp outer case. when the rca's are plugged in the wire falls down towards the bottom of the back seat and this is where the rca wire touches it and it makes it worse. Could it be something else in the amp?Switching from full to sub seems to eliminate all the noise. only get the noise when its on full range

6. subpounder101

subpounder101 Full Member

your having a ground issue, check your power lead lines. And not just your amp's, this is the pain in the ass... Becauase sadly once you add electronics, a small slash in a 18GA power wire for your fog light up front can cause small noise promblems. Does any of your sheilding look bare or cutt into around metal area's?(this tends to be one common quick fix)

If your seeing a noise issue more with filter switching on the amp, than either 1 the RCA cable is bad or 2 the amp is channel is bad which can and or can't be fixed by the consumer..... One last idea to try, is the old ground on method. Take some bare wire, and ground out the heads to the RCA cable and follow the noise than. If the noise comes alive from grounded the head's and not being plugged in well... their ya go man, if not well.... their u dont go man lol.....

7. I have a similar problem. My issue is not so much engine noise. I have two pairs of components in my car. My rca and power are run on opposite sides of the car. i get a static noise in my front channel speakers only. I used to have a hertz ep4 in my car and just recently switched it to a audison lrx 4.1k. when i put the audison amp the noise came about. I tried switching the rca from front to rear channel but the noise is still there. I know it is not engine noise because the static is there even when the car is off. Any ideas on how to get rid of the noise. My head unit is an alpine 9857 headunit.