AMP_GRD Error

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by DatDude08, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok so after installing the 3.5" kicker speakers yesterday my head unit is displaying AMP_GRD and I can't get it to go away. It happened yesterday and I thought I had fixed it, but apparently not as it happened again this afternoon. The unit is a Clarion DXZ385USB. I have all the speakers disconnected, but the message is still displayed. Any ideas? I called the people who installed it and they said to bring it buy and they will try and fix it if still under warranty, which it should be, but I'd rather cut them out if possible.

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

AMP_GRD seems to me that there may be a problem with your ground wire. you may want to check that out to make sure you have a good ground and that no wires are touching each other.

Do you have an amp connected to the head unit or are you just running the speakers straight to the head unit?

3. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Straight head unit. I checked the ground and it should be good. Its on a screw that mounts a bare metal oil pressure guage.

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

You may want to try to ground it somewhere else just to be sure.

5. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok. I think it may be amp guard? Sort of like a protection mode. Thats kinda what i gathered from searching it, but there were also some that said it was ground.

6. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Well my day just keeps getting better. The internal amp is fried. Cause by the oil pressure gauge shooting oil up in it most likely. Well the oil line broke on my way home and I lost over a quart of oil and so my engine may be screwed cause I drove it home about 5 miles with it knocking. I pray its not destroyed.

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

sorry to hear about that... hope it will be okay...

8. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

OK so a little update here. The car is fine thankfully and now has some new carpet which it was in need of anyway. The radio has been sent back to get a replacement and that should be here sometime within the next 2 weeks.

9. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Just when everything is going good I just got this stupid error again!!! Anybidy know what its could be caused by. The ground is good and sure and it was "professionally" installed. Could something be shorting it out, if so what? Or, is this just a CRAP head unit?!?!

10. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Any clue? Could the electrical be surging causing it to short or something? I'd like to know before I just go out and buy a different head unit and the same thing possibly happen.

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I don't believe is a ground problem. Its a speaker problem. When it shows the error, use a volt meter and measure the voltage on all the speaker wires. All of the speaker wires should have the same voltage (with in a tenth of a volt), about half of battery voltage (assuming everything is working properly). The speaker causing the problem will read lower than all the other speakers.

Normal voltage for a normal IC output amp should be 5.8 to 6.5 volts and they must be the same.

12. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok. Well all the speakers are disconnected from the head unit except 2, but its still giving the error. I'll do take them off and let you know. If its still giving the error then the head unit is messed.

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Good thinking, make sure you disconnect the speaker wires at the back of the radio.

14. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok I guess this one is gone also. All the speakers are disconnected and the sub and it still displays the error. Guess I might as well look for a another head unit.

15. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I'm looking at getting the Alpine CDE-102. Are they good head units? Or if you can find one better for the price then please suggest.

16. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

17. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

im a pioneer fanboy lol.
    to me the pioneer cause it has a 7 band eq and dual usb inputs and direct ipod connection, and 4v out puts. the alpine is 2v and the kenwood doesnt say.

18. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Here are the kenwood specs.Go figure you'd pick the more expensive one :p. I really want something reliable cause I've had 2 Clarions crap out with the same error. This time I'll be wiring it instead of those "professionals" at the local shop. Is there something else I should maybe be looking at?

19. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

the pioneer till has the better eq. that way you wont have to get an external unit. i got one cause its a line driver but it makes my sub pop when i turn my system off.

i may just loose it all together or hook the sub back to the head unit.

20. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok then what about the DEH-P6000UB, it has a 7 band eq. but is 50 bucks less. Still good?