Amp questions

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by DSM/137dbs, Feb 23, 2006.

1. DSM/137dbs

DSM/137dbs Full Member

Do any of you guys know any Amp companies that make half ohm stable amps. I know autiobahn makes them but I wanted a larger selection?

2. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

Why? Even if it is capable of running with a half ohm load, the heat output is higher, the distortion is higher, the damping factor is lower, the efficiency is lower. All the bad things about amplifiers, just magnified. Why not get an amp rated at the desired power at 4 or at worst, 2 ohms? Your cost per watt will likely be lower, and the amp will run cooler and more efficiently...

Oh, anything owned by Audiobahn is NOT a great product.....just thought you should know.

BUT, if you still want 1/2 ohm stable amps.....here are some.

MMATS
    MA Audio
    Clif Designs

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  3. Streetz

Streetz Full Member

In opinion I disagree, but would like to know why you think Audiobahn is no good (outta curiousity, not starting an argument).

4. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

I have yet to see, install, touch, or read about that is worth it from Audiobahn. I have been doing car stereo installs for about 15 years and I would not put Audiobahn in anyones car that I know even if they already purchased it.

First off they are only built for the bling factor. There is absolutely NO quality in anything they build. I have ripped apart EVERY thing they sell, and see some of the worst quality ever. I have seen better quality from Pyramid (and I doubt you would purchase Pyramid right?). They look kool for the most part, and at first they mostly sound great. The subs, amps, and speakers will eventually fail with any kind of abuse. There is SO much more out there that you can purchase that is better for either the same price, or just a bit more.

I have seen more Audiobahn come back busted in a short period of time after installation (professional....not the back yard person) than ANY other manufacturer on the planet. I worked at a local shop that sold that crap, and I had to replace more Audiobahn subs/amps than anything else.

I hope that answers your question.....

5. macdaddy99gst

macdaddy99gst Full Member

i agree , there good to a piont ..

6. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

Yeah...if you are lookin to waste your money on crap.....or you want a 'look'....that is all they are worth....expensive paper weights and bling

7. jibit

jibit Well-Known Member

just think about it this way, you buy an ok amp for $200 that breaks every 6 months, or you buy an amp for $350 that last you several years if not longer! Not only that but with the better amp you are getting sound quality. If you are on a budget I wuold suggest saving up for the good stuff.

8. Streetz

Streetz Full Member

Sure does. Reason I ask, is because I read mixed reviews about them. Some say it's good, some say it's crap. Had a couple friends that had audiobahn and had no problem with them and liked it.

So I was curious as to what your full review was. Thanks for the input, I'll keep this in mind :) .

9. macdaddy99gst

macdaddy99gst Full Member

what i mean about good to a point is to hear some lil bass for your self now you want to show it off and pound like crazy , i agree there not good at all fo extreme abuse . for the price you could get something better or even cheaper in price .. :cool:

10. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Audiobahns, Like most companies, has it bad products and its "ok" products.

They are not the best, no where near it, but they dont market themselves as the best..

What they are, is a good Entry, to low-mid Level Product.

I have a Audiobahn Amp I have been running for 6 years now, Been in 4 Cars and on I dont know how many Differant Sub Setups.

Currently it is In my Pickup Powering 2 Adire Audio Shiva Subwoofers.

But I dont know what they are doing today, I have not even held a Audiobahn Amp in.... god 4 years.

11. Attack Eagle

Attack Eagle Full Member

IF you are looking for a "budget" amp, and can rewire to a 2 ohm load, either a JBL GTO 600.1 or JBL GTO 1200.1 would certainly give you ample wattage, for a LOT less than Kicker or Alpine...

SUPER budget amp (and other product) that is actually WORTH buying?
    Brand CALLED Total...
    subsidiary of JL: audio, and you can REALLY tell by the quality construction and performance... but you can't tell by the price. :)
    I think they are 2 ohm stable as well

12. eclipser6

eclipser6 Full Member

i'm not agreeing or disagreeing (sorry if not spelled correctly) but i am running 2 alum10q's by audiobahn and havent had any problems yet. My amp is a legacy 2000W 2 channel not the best but it was all free till i get my setup i want. also the subs are in a sealed box which was the recommended setup. the subs seem pretty good but with the vibrations of the car and rattles its hard to really tell. i still have a lot of work to do with this car. not to argue with anyone just kinda puttin in a word.

13. Jeffc879

Jeffc879 Full Member

yeah i agree with attack eagle total mobile audio makes good stuff. the design is based off of the old school kicker impulse. mine never gets hot and its loud and clean. ma audio and clif designs are the same exact thing and they overheat at 1/2 ohm easily. buy an old school hcca if you want half ohm stability that is quality.