Amp kits

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by soulfly, Mar 11, 2011.

1. soulfly

soulfly Full Member

currently using a Schoche 4guage amp kit. Would a better brand be worth upgrading to? i want good SQ

also, would 14 guage speaker wire make components sound better than 18 guage? say 100-150 watts

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

heres my 2 cents on the issue....

Generally speaking, copper is copper, wire is wire. granted the fact remains that the more strands in a wire the more current it can carry.....es[ecially in AC circuits (those that carry the audio signals) .... Now, to go from one brand of 4 AWG wire to another for your power wire....dont waste your money on some bloated priced wire that makes claims it will do amazing things. Cause it wont, period. As for speaker wire, going from 18 to 14 AWG wire will do virtually nothing to improve sound quality. Even with the best of hearing , doing an A/B comparison between cheesy factory wiring and 12 gauge wiring will show almost no difference. it takes ALOT of current to justify the usage of heavier gauge wire in speakers....Subs, ya.....highs, iwouldnt worry about it too much. i used 18 AWG for years in all installs for the highs, never an issue even at 300 watts plus, cause there is not any real current involoved. dont waste your cash on excessively heavy speaker wire for your highs......

3. soulfly

soulfly Full Member

thanks a lot theviking. What about RCA's. The ones that come with most kits from what i've seen look fairly thin or they'll say Twisted pair...does that mean their shielded?
    should i get Monster cable brand?

I plan to run a total of 3 amps off of one power lead. JLA 4/450 (about 450 watts) MTX elite (1000 watts) mtx thunder 200 watts. Will 4 guage be enough?

*edit: what do you think about this kit? http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/poweracoustikakit-2g.aspx

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. .::KGD::.

.::KGD::. Full Member

With that many amps I would upgrade the power to and the grounds, just my 0.02 cents.