Amp for 12inch L7 2ohms...

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by jmkhet, Oct 5, 2010.

1. jmkhet

jmkhet New Member

Just bought a new 2ohm L5.I was looking for advice at which amp
    I should pair up this sub with.Is it safe to go past the 600 watt RMS?

Should i wire the sub for 2ohm or get an amp thats 1ohm stable?Ive
    read wiring 1ohm is supposedly the best for a 2ohm sub but idk...

Im hoping to pick up a Monoblock amp of some sort, preferably under
    200 bones.Any positive feedback or advice on a decent amp would be
    great.Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. ericj

ericj Full Member

The resistance of your sub determines what resistance your amp "sees". Your amp would see a 2ohm load with that sub, regardless if the amp is 1ohm stable or not.

I'm not familiar with the L7s, but if it's a 2ohm DVC sub, you can wire it to a 1ohm or 4ohm load.

And yes, it's safe to surpass 600W rms, but I'm not sure how much past it is safe for that sub.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. jmkhet

jmkhet New Member

yeah its 2ohm DVC L5 my bad...

4. ericj

ericj Full Member

Okay, then a 1ohm stable mono amp would be fine for it. I'll leave it up to others for advice on which amp would be best for your budget.

5. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

6. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

What? There is no possible way to run that woofer at 4 Ohms with a 2-channel amp, unless of course, you intend to use only one channel of the amp, which would be moronic.

If you run the amp in 2-Channel mode, it is 2 Ohms. If you wire the sub in series and bridge the amp, it's still 2 Ohms. If you wire the sub in parallel and bridge the amp, it's 1/2 Ohm.

A 2-channel amp is also most likely a Class A/B amp and will draw more current than a similar power Class D monoblock.

7. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I disagree based on the specs of that amp. Unless the specs are wrong, it is 4 ohms when bridged. Look on the spec tab of that amp link. It states the minimum impedance of the amp in bridged mode is 4 ohms, which is what Tommy2tone was suggesting.

It states 760x1 RMS in bridged mode

8. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Yes, "minimum" of 4 Ohms when bridged, which means 2 Ohms. That's why you can't bridge it and run a 2-Ohm sub, because it would be 1 Ohm.

Most people (even some installers) don't realize that an amp's internal operation load is cut in half when bridged. You will notice that bridging typically requires connecting to one positive and the other channel's negative terminal. In reality, that negative terminal is really a positive terminal. The amp is intentionally labeled backwards at one output and one input is wired out of phase. By having the installer wire that speaker backwards, they are bringing the out-of-phase inputs back into proper phase at the outputs. This makes it easier to bridge the amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  9. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Actually that sub is dual 2 ohm,so if I'm wrong about wiring a dvc 2 ohm sub at 4 ohms than I must be crazy.Also,I'm quite positive that a class a/b or a class d amp runs more efficient(less strain on electrical system) at 4 ohms vs. 1 ohm.But since you have posted on almost every thread recently,you must know way more than me.

10. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I think a daily post record was broken yesterday! :lol:

Glad to have ya here Te5la!

11. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

You are half-right. If you wire a dual 2-Ohm sub in series, you will get a 4-Ohm sub, but we are talking about the load on the amplifier. Since you are bridging a 2-channel amplifier, you are wiring its internal amps in parallel, so it will see half of the speaker's resistance, or 2 Ohms.

And just to clarify, impedance is not resistance, although you hear many people use the terms interchangeably. The resistance of a speaker is always less than its impedance.

For example, look at these JL Audio subs, which come in 2, 4, and 8 Ohm varieties. Notice in the Thiele/Small parameters the spec "DC Resistance (Re)".

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=25

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2010
  12. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Morning, Klinkster, and thanks.

I did not intend to monopolize the forums. Maybe I've been doing this stuff too long.

13. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Resistance= the opposition of electrical flow with D/C (resisters)
    Impedence= the opposition of electrical flow with A/C (inductors, caps)

14. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Just like I said Te5la,you do know more than me.I'm sure you can understand where I was coming from.I have bridged a 2 channel amp before and it kept going into protect because the sub was a dual 4 wired to a 2 ohm load.It will be years before I try and understand internals of an amp.

15. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Sure, I'm just here to try and help some folks and maybe dispel a few myths.