Alternator vs. Batteries??

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by 502cec, Apr 30, 2011.

1. 502cec

502cec Full Member

Do I really need both or can I just get by with an upgraded (250amp) alternator and and upgraded OEM battery? Or do I need stinger bateries in the back also? I will be running around 3000rms in Memphis amps.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ive seen people run extra batts on stock alts and be fine for daily setups with thousands more watts than you will run,but they suffer at comps when they can't recharge fast enough at shows in between runs.

i have two extra 65ah batts in the back of my truck on a stock 105 amp alt, but im only running 1300 watts rms..900 of that to my sub...

i get on the vol for a few songs then back to normal listening, and haven't had any charging issues at all. in fact i put it on a batt charger at work and it read full charge after only 10~12 mins of charge. again, i don't compete, and i do not listen for more than 5 to 10 with the ignition off.

so depending on how you will be using your system, you may be ok with doing the big 3, and adding 2 to 3 more batts in the back.

i do know that memphis amps get finicky on low voltage.. i know too many people that have had their amps die running lower than 12v.. thats the 4k tho...not sure how the 3k is.
    if you have the alt, add more batts.
    hope some of this helps..

3. bing

bing Member

I have to give thanks for that additional information. I was wondering the same thing about batteries and alternators as well, trying to decide what I wanted to do with my new car. I am leaning more towards the battery option myself. I have been looking around at different brands I want to buy, so I will definitely take this information into consideration.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. bing

bing Member

deleted- sorry for the double post