Adire Koda 8 Subwoofer/mid!

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by Poseur, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

OKay, so I jsut noticed this on the adire page. http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/Koda8PageFrameText.htm Very interesting. I'm looking to get some lows upfront in my car... Would these speakers work decent freeair? I'm mostly jsut looking to play the 200hz-40 or 50hz range, but with some authority. If absoultely necessary, I'll build some form of in-door enclosure action, but I'd like to just see if I can make it work easily first.

2. texcon

texcon Full Member

I wouldn't think they would work well in a free air application based on how much door prep the 6.5" Kodas need to really reach their potential. I bet those 8s would sound bitchin'.

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Hey Poseur. You actually heard those on your visit. Remember the tiny black enclosure in the downstairs listening room? Those 8's are in that enclosure.

As for your question, it wouldn't be free air, but IB. And they would work just fine IB. In fact, Dan was thinking about doing a pair in his wife's vehicle. You should be able to get some killer lows that way.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

4. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Y'kno what, I actually do know better, but that's what I get at 3am *L* I was just excited to see it... I'd thought those were AV8's, but I do recall you mentioning they were possibly 4ohm. hmm, very nice... I'll be talking to you guys shortly. Now it's just a matter of finding enough mounting depth. and, y'kno hanging a couplefew more layers of deadening on my doors.

Wow, I'm stoked, I've been looking for this exact speaker for quite awhile now. Very nice. DO you have an exact measurement of the depth of these? It'll be tight, but I've got motivation on my side now...

~Paul

5. Steven Kephart

Dan said they are less than 3.75" deep. They aren't that deep, especially with that kind of excursion.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

6. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

noice... okay so I'm saving my pennies. Are these things in stock? perhaps I'll have time to get my quad 4" kicks madeup just about the time my budget linesup for a pair of them. hmm... andyea, sorry to press, but 3.5" maybe? My clearance is seriosuly that tight.. 3.5 should fit with enough room for the surround, etc, but 3.75 puts it right against my door panel in order to clear my window.

7. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

oh, yea, also what's the cutout diameter? I'm gonna see if I can pre-make some baffles. and I'll be poking aorund in my doors doing some deadening soon anyway, so I'll be able to see howmuch if any I'll need to cut.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'm thinking 2 Koda8s, 2 AV5s, and a tweeter yet to be decided per tower should be nice :blink: .

9. ASM

ASM Full Member

After seeing that link I was thinking of using some of those in a pair of towers myself, wow. Nice price too.

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No kidding... I wanted to do a nice 8/5/1 inch set up, and I love the AV5 s midrange capabilities. I also like the 4 ohm woofer, 4 ohm mid in that I can run in series for a 8 ohm load, keep them at really nice low power levels and well within their linear travel... These will offer a really nice tmmww type tower... Massive, and elegant.

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hmm....

If I had room, I'd ponder doing sealed 'glassed in boxes in the lower corners of each of my front doors with two Koda 8's, and a line array of 4 of the TangBand W3-871S fullrange drivers in each door...

Maybe I will... need to do something... hmm... ;)

12. thumperfbc

thumperfbc Full Member

You need something to do? Come to California... I got plenty of projects on the table...

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I needed to bump this. When I split it it fell down the ladder a bit, and I wanted it to be back up here...

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

So Seth...

What are your impressions of the Koda so far?

do you have enough information on the Koda 8 to compare it to your Koda 10?

15. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

16. Steven Kephart

Your the third person to mention this, and I can't see it. Stupid Elite forum has never let me in. I always get re-directed to the login page after it says "Thanks for logging in Steven Kephart. We are now re-directing you to the forum."

Can someone copy and paste please?

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

17. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Then Dan says:
    And Dan's comment on suspension break-in (for really really stiff suspensions only, I presume:
    Cheapboy tests his 2nd Koda8 and gives his opinion:
    Then Dan's final word on the Koda8's:
    Phew! That's a lot of cutting and pasting...

btw, Cheapboy = npdang on other sites

Yeah that site was frustrating for me until I found out that I had to lessen my cookie restrictions on the browser... On one of my computers though, it still never worked properly no matter what I did - time for a new computer? ;)

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Thanks for pasting. I cannot stand ECA, with all their stupid login restrictions and elitist bullshit attitudes. I could join many HT forums and find less elitism... and those guys have more of a right to display it.

Give me an open friendly atmosphere and I am there... give me elitism, and I am gone. I don't mind helping friends... note the use of the word friends.

That is disapointing. I am looking into some tubes (hoping I win a raffle I entered for a nice JoLida, if not I may just save my pennies and buy one) and wanted to do some nice dipoles for them... using the Koda 8s . But now I am not so sure :( . I don't want to play games with this tube deal... it will be my first personal tube set-up, and my first dipole build.

I hope Ding comes back with some better results after break in, or I may be forced to reconsider my driver selection :( .

19. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Why don't you get a set of Koda8s yourself and give us your review of them?

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I just finished my dual Koda 10 sub (too much money spent) and I have several thousand dollars of damage in my hall bathroom due to a leaky tub :( . I have to get that ironed out before I go buyin toys :( .

Besides, like I said, I want to buy myself a tube amp... I am looking into speakers for it, as this is a complete deal, and it is something I have wanted for a long time. I have also always wanted some personal experiance with Dipoles, and the 2 should compliment each other nicely... 25 push-pull tube watts into some killer dipoles... makes me drool :baby: