A vented sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by PA Dodger, Nov 23, 2011.

1. PA Dodger

PA Dodger Member

I want to put a sub in a classic convertible car. There is no way to put a typical sub box in the car because of the top when it's down. I have been out of the car audio thing for a good while. I remember a speaker company ( I think Boston Acoustics) had a small sub with a flexible "vent tube" that channeled the bass into the car. Does anyone make something like this anymore? Can it be made as DIY?
    This probably falls under "Subs" instead of "Subwoofer Box" but it will probably be a custom box in the end.
    Thanks
    Dan

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i have seen many boxes with external ports. pvc tubing should work if you get the length right... but you mentioned flexible tube which is what you may be looking for since you have a convertible.

one more thing to consider too is that its hard to get decent bass in a convertible with the top down.

im sure our resident box builder will chime in. but i would think flextube from a home center might work. ? maybe.

3. PA Dodger

PA Dodger Member

Thanks Pedro. Just so we're on the same page, what I'm talking about isn't a ported box as opposed to a sealed box . What I'm talking about is a sub setup where the sub output is channeled into the interior compartment via "ducting". I do realize the limitations of a sub in a convertible. The problem is the car has nothing in the rear. I can get 4x6's in the kickpanels and possibly two 4" speakers in the dash center speaker location.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

oh ok i see what you are saying now.

i'm sure it can still be done. what kind of car?

5. PA Dodger

PA Dodger Member

'69 Dodge Dart convertible.