'92 Cavalier - Voltage Problem

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by delvryboy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

ok here's the deal

this is a problem i had for about a year before it went in the garage, now that it's back on the road i investigate

the engine has a surge at idle, actually at all speeds but you don't feel it when driving

with the surge, the lights get bright/less bright...this happens every 1/2 second or so

another thing to note, i had the big 3 upgraded(factory wiring in place)

when i took out my gear, i removed the 4awg charging wire i had installed, however, the alty would not charge the batt. with only the stock wire :blink: ....so i figured what the hell, it's getting stored anyhow, so i reinstalled it

that brings us to the present....same problem

put it on the DMM, it fluctuates(sp) between 14.5v and 15.5v at idle, goes at the same pace as the surge/light dimming(actually brightening) mentioned above

i have an amp in the car now, it doesn't give me any problems, but i do go thru a considerable amount of turn signal bulbs

had the alty checked, and they said there weren't any problems

voltage regulator?....it's internal on the GM's, correct?

i am pretty sure this is a simple fix, just need it diagnosed ;)

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It sounds like 2 things to me bud. First the voltage issues do sound like the regulator taking a dump, and yes it is internal.

Second, the surge... I assume you are speaking of an engine surge and not the voltage surge?

On the throttle body there is an IAC motor. Depending on the application it will be a large barrel with a hex on it, and a 4 wire square connector, or a smaller barrel with a flat flange and 2 Torx bolts holding it on with a 4 wire flat connector. remove this unit and with an acid bruch and a good throttle body cleaner clean the plunger. Be sure not to depress the plunger. Also, clean inside the cavity from which it was removed.

After reinstalling it turn the key on engine off for 60 seconds, then off for 60 seconds, then on for 60 seconds, then off again for 60 seconds. We are reteaching the IAC closed and open position to the computer ;) .

Due to the cleaner in the intake now, you may need to hold the throttle to the floor while cranking. This is a clear flood mode and shuts down the injectors. At first it will run like shit, because of all the cleaner in the engine, but it should smooth out for you.

Good luck!!!

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hmm...
    This problem sounds familiar.

92 sounds like one of those "Bad" years to me... tons of vacuum lines everywhere?

I've heard my personal idle issues that I've been experiencing could be related to a vacuum leak too... which seems quite difficult to diagnose (but I'm trying). :(

4. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

well, i didn't get around to fixing anything...too much work, sis' wedding coming up in a few days, back to back meca shows...just plain old stuff

but i have a new problem, the charging light will flash upon decelleration, it will go away if i turn on the headlights :blink:

any input on this other than the alty is taking another step towards the graveyard?

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

if the Voltage Regulator is going, the Voltage probally is Going over Recommended limits, thus the charging light comes on, when you put on the load (headlights) the voltage drops and the light goes out

6. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

if the Voltage Regulator is going, the Voltage probally is Going over Recommended limits, thus the charging light comes on, when you put on the load (headlights) the voltage drops and the light goes out [/b][/quote]
    thanks, thats what i figured

makes sense why it's blinking(read original post)