6 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm rated amplifier

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by subujoseph, Apr 23, 2012.

1. subujoseph

subujoseph New Member

I know this is a car audio forum, but excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

I have a pioneer sx-x360 5.1 system. the impedance of the amplifier(receiver) is 4 ohms. my question is, can i connect a 6 ohm impedance speaker to this amplifier? will this blow out the amp or speaker?

thanks in advance.

2. wingless

wingless Full Member

Yes, the manual for the SX-X360 lists the amplifier specifications as: RMS Power Output / 100W per channel / 10% T.H.D. / 4 Ohm.

The usage of a 6 Ohm speaker will limit the amplifier to provide less power to the speaker, but will not damage the amplifier.

3. subujoseph

subujoseph New Member

thanks wingless

I am trying to understand this, if you have an amplifier with 4 Ohm specification, am I right to conclude that connecting any speaker with impedance greater than 4 Ohm i.e 6 or 8 Ohm will not damage the amplifier, and if the amplifier specification is say for e.g. 8 Ohms, connecting a speaker with lower impedance such as 4 Ohms or 6 Ohms will damage the amplifier?

Once again thanks for the reply.

4. wingless

wingless Full Member

The specification section of that manual is poorly written.

A properly written manual will list the minimum acceptable impedance for the amplifier. A larger impedance (Ohms) is okay, less than the minimum is not okay.

The 6 Ohm speaker connected to your amplifier is okay. It will probably have less volume than the 4 Ohm speaker, but won't hurt the amplifier.