500/1 pushing Punch P2's

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by gr8outdoorz, Sep 26, 2011.

1. gr8outdoorz

gr8outdoorz Member

Hey guys,
    I have (2) 8" Fosgate Punch P2's (new 2011 model/ 250w RMS) in a custom box. I currently have a Punch 200-2 pushing them and feel they are just not getting enough. I am thinking of putting a JL audio 500/1 on them. (My brother is giving me the amp :D). I have heard from people the 500/1 is seriously underrated (my brother had it pushing 2 10w3's). Is this amp too much power for these subs?
    Thanks guys!

2. gr8outdoorz

gr8outdoorz Member

Anyone????

3. steve

steve Full Member

you know you can only get so much out of 8" subs.I don't think the power is so much the issue,what you may want to consider is moving up to a 12" sub.

4. gr8outdoorz

gr8outdoorz Member

Thanks for the reply steve. Im happy with the subs i have though, but with the current amp i'm only getting 100w rms to each sub and they are 250w rms each. My question about the 500/1 is i had a couple people tell me that it pushes much more than 500w rms. Now...I can't say i fully trust what these guys say...hence why I'm asking here.:) Would that amp be too much for (2) 250 rms 8" or would it be a good match?
    Thanks again.

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i've heard and ran one in my truck to test it out for a friend who wanted to know if it worked or not..at the time i had a 15'' on an amp rated to do 580 watts at 4ohms.with my amp i was doing 137's on the Term lab. with the 500/1 not only was it louder by 1 db ( 138.4 or so) it sounded much better than my amp. it has a great crossover and the fact it is regulated is another good thing too.

i want to say with good power it will do about 700+ watts. so if its a gift, take it. if your concerned about giving the subs too much power you can lower the gain to compensate.

about running 2 8's.. i used to run 3 at one time and with about 450 watts to them i was doing 138 dbs. on a diff amp. wired to 1.3 ohms mono. a NINE.5 to be exact. they sounded great all around. i should have a pic somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

here is when i was running 3 8's... they absolutely pounded. first box i built on my own. then i went to 4 8's.. insanity!!
    [​IMG]

anyways ive also heard single and double 8 set ups that sounded like subs much larger. its all in the enclosure. so maybe more power is needed. wont hurt to try, but at low gain settings first.

let us know what happens. and feel free to share photos.. we loves photos ,lol.

7. gr8outdoorz

gr8outdoorz Member

Thanks Pedro for the amp review!! It sounds like it's a really good amp! He pulled the amp yesterday and gave it to me :D. I'm going to hook it up this weekend (when i finally get some free time). I'll definitley let you know how it sounds and will take some picks of the setup. I had custom boxes built for the subs (they match Fosgates recommended cu ft perfectly) because Ranger and Viking emphasized how important the enclosure was in making them sound really good.
    Thanks for all your input!