220A Iraggi load tested 74A :(

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by kryptonitewhite, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

I went to Advanced Auto, their load test doesnt do ampers, 1st with car off all electric off:
    advanced auto print out
    battery test 12.82V
    measured 1256 CCA
    rated 758 CCA
    Temp 21deg F

While stating:
    starter voltage 11.74V
    0.0A time
    625mS
    dipped to 10V

running:
    Charging system test
    no load 14.62V ---A
    loaded 15.58V ---A
    ripple 37mV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAfgEPB9Ds

Went to O'Reilley's
    Load test 74A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9zlvDKBoLk

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

Wow, i bet my db electrical alt does more then that!

3. kryptonitewhite

can the test be wrong?

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

The oriellys test will NOT show true alternator output. Nor will the other one....

What is needed is a true load on the electricall system. in the range of 250 amps. And with only ONE battery in the circuit. Using a clamp on DC ammeter on the charge wire from the alternators output wire... that is the ONLY way to test an alternators output.

Your charge voltage is good, no doubt, and this is a good indicator of a strong alternator, but it will NOT tell you its amperage output.

5. kryptonitewhite

I had a choice of more power at idle, inbetween, or more peak. The smallest alt is rated 160A-200A at idle 220A peak, the biggest alt is rated 160A-180A at idle 300A peak. I chose 200A idle 220A peak.

I was idling. I should have gotten a minimum of 160A and up to 200A at idle.

Ive had Dominic Irragi on my Facebook since I started my research, he deleted it and started a new one. I added him, bet he doesnt accept! I sent yet another email last nite, we will see

bad alt? good alt?‏

1/29/11

Emailed him again last nite:

dominick@tds.net

Sent: Sat 1/29/11 9:21 PM

To: dominick@tds.net

Hotmail Active Viewadvanced auto CCA voltage.AVI

Go to YouTube

Play video

advanced auto print out battery test 12.82V measured 1256 CCA rated 758 CCA Temp 21deg F starter voltage 11.74V 0.0A time 625mS dipped to 10V Charging system test no load 14.62V loaded 15.58V…

00:02:50

Added on 1/29/11

Loading video preview from YouTubeThere was a problem connecting to YouTube. This video may not exist or it may only play on YouTube. Try going to their website: YouTube - oreilley 74A load.AVI

I just went to have my 160@idle 220 peak tested, it was load tested as 74A. It is rated 160-200A @ idle, 220A peak. Test no good? I want to make sure the Iraggi works as it should before adding a 2nd alt.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to Advanced Auto, their load test doesnt do ampers, 1st with car off all electric off:

advanced auto print out

battery test 12.82V

measured 1256 CCA

rated 758 CCA

Temp 21deg F

While stating:

starter voltage 11.74V

0.0A time

625mS

dipped to 10V

running:

Charging system test

no load 14.62V ---A

loaded 15.58V ---A

ripple 37mV

YouTube - advanced auto CCA voltage.AVI

Went to O'Reilley's

Load test 74A

YouTube - oreilley 74A load.AVI

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. kryptonitewhite

should I just assume it is good, or go through and take the risk of getting it tested before adding the 300A EA? It is my only vehicle, my daily driver, with the alt out I cant drive it, if anything broke I would be up creek :(

But I dont want to add the excessive amperage assuming the iraggi does rated and kill them both cuz the iraggi doesnt pull its weight.