2 ohm speakers

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by jibit, Mar 2, 2006.

1. jibit

jibit Well-Known Member

I've noticed some 2-ohm speakers (not subs) on the market recently and thought to myself, why? The decks I have seen are rated at 4-ohms (I'm actually running each channel at two and run into thermal protection during the summer). What trouble would I run into if I ran some 2-ohm speakers in series (aside from power consumption)? I do this with subs all the time but I'm not worried about the frequency response or the distortion. Anyone have any ideas how it may affect the sound?

2. shockwavef399

shockwavef399 Full Member

i guess it depends on if your head unit will support a 2 ohm speaker. remember the higher the ohm, the less resistance is on the speaker,the more power it takes to push the speaker to its max. more power= heat. i have allways stayed safe and ran all my speakers including my subs at 4 ohms, so everything runs nice and cool and last's forever. another thing i dont run junk, stay with a good name brand that has a good reputation. my headunit is a jvc kd-avx1, the little in-dash dvd player, my inside speakers are infinity, and my subs and amp are rockfords power series, you can go wrong with a combanation like that :)

3. Attack Eagle

Attack Eagle Full Member

little to none if they are mounted next to each other and specifically designed for that ohm load.. just remember whatever power you have will be split equally between the speakers so you need to provide 2x what the speakers are rated at via the amp. I am guessing those are designed for the more is more show crowd that wants 2-4 speakers per door.

2ohm 45watts rms would require an amp with 90 w rms @ 4 ohm... gets expensive.

4. jibit

jibit Well-Known Member

one of the reasons I'm looking at speakers like this is because I have a fosgate punch amp 800, 100WX4 @4 ohms.