2 Alpine Type X's!!!!

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by kjchillz, Jan 24, 2007.

1. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

Hello, i just purchased a pair of alpine type x's. I own a 2001 jeep cherokee. I know I need a lotttt of wattage. money is not really the issue im just looking for something nice and reliable. I need something that will power these subs.. Any suggestions?? thanks

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

My friend has a pair of Type X 12's...has an MRD-1005 on each of them...sounds really nice

What electrial system upgrades have you done??? Upgrade your big three??? bigger battery???

If money is not an issuse than I'd say get an Alpine PDX1.1000 for each of those

3. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

well i was thinkin, do i have to upgrade my electrical system? and if so, how do i do so? How much will it probably cost.. and I was trying to find 1 amp to power both subs. is ther a good amp out their that fits my needs?

4. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

i own a jeep cherokee 2001.

5. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

but are u sure that eclipse will power the 2 12's ? It says total wattage exceeds 6000 watts.. isnt that just advertisement? U dont actually need an amp that powerful for the 2 12's, right?

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

That is the total wattage...but that amp will power those Type X's fine...and won't be so hard on your electrical system as the others.

I'd upgrade your big three with some 0 gauge wiring and maybe add a secondary battery

7. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

The alpine type x says it is a 4 ohm sub. Its rms is 1000 watts. I have two type x's. So don't i need an amp that runs 2000watts @ 4ohms. Or does it not matter as long as its a 2000 watt amp? Im really curious as to which amp i need to buy. I want the Hifonics XX-Colossus II. Would this be perfect for my two 12" type x's?

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

The Type X's are all dual 4 ohm so you have a final impedance with both subs at 1,4 or 16 ohms.

Or with each sub at 2 ohms.

But I would highly suggest the underrated Eclipse DA7122...it will be much less of a strain on your electrical system and it is in the same price range as the Colossus. It will kill the Colussus in sound quailty and woofer control. Ice power is more efficient than regular class d designs

With the Colossus make sure to get an upgraded atleast 200 amp alternator and an extra battery in the back.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=210

9. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

are you positive that it will be anough wattage? im really nervous about buying this eclipse amp because its a lot of money. I just want to make sure it will bump my subs without any problems

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

ok nevermind...sorry, I screwed up...

i looked up the wrong amp...the 7232 is what I was thinking but couldn't remember..don't get the 7122

The colossus will do fine...just be careful of your gain control and upgrade your big three and maybe add another big battery in the back

11. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

umm thats like a $1200 amp. Isnt their an amp thats a bit cheaper at the same quality? I have a limit of $700 =\. Please help.

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

well that limit of 700 definitely helps out...hold on

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

14. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

i havent done any upgrades. its out of the question for me because of my parents :(. Is their an amp that will power my subs without having to upgrade my electrical system.

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Um...there are plent of amps that will POWER them....but an amp that will PUSH them MAY require some upgrades.

I would start off with the BIG THREE in some 0 gauge wire. Check out the sticky in the electrical forum

16. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Be forewarned, If you cannot upgrade at least the big 3 due to your parents, for whatever reason, Dont expect one of these big amps to perform worth a crap. Chances are good actually that you would destroy them due to the limited current capacity of the vehicles factory wiring.

17. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

the 0 gauge is no problem. i am not allowed to get a second battery or new alternator. my parents say im goin to far. so i obviously cant get the best amp for my subwoofers. So what should i do? If i get that soundstream 2000 watt amp i will need to upgrade my alternator and battery? I thought my v8 jeep could handle it =\

18. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

why not go with a single sub.you will only need an amp of half of what you were thinking of.still do the big 3 though.

19. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

I understand now.........

If you can upgrade the big three as outlined in the sticky, you shouldnt have any problems. You will have to know the limits of your electrical system however! Or you may end up with a dead battery!