1990 T-bird "current" issues...Help?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by snwbrdrxtreme, Oct 26, 2009.

1. snwbrdrxtreme

snwbrdrxtreme New Member

So I'll give you my run down on what I got and my issue.

New 75 amp. Alt.
    Bluetop Ultima Battery 3 months old
    4 gauge Power wire running back to the amps connected first to a Rockford Fosgate 10 Farad Digital cap.
    Power BD1000 Rockford Fosgate amp. running 2-10" DVC 2ohm T1 subs in a sealed box.
    Phoenix Gold 4 ch. Tantrum 400.4 Diamond Audio Comp. D6 6-1/2" front and rears.

My Issue is I cant keep a constant amprage draw for my amplifier. It runs flawless for about 1-2 mins. and then its starved for power and the bass is much less with excessive headlight dimming. I have heard that the wiring in the older cars could be the issue, but not aware of how to start to fix it.

So my only thoughts are I either need to fix the wiring or buy a bigger Alternator. I have never had a problem like this before owning a similar system in a Honda Civic which had a less ampreage Alt. and a much smaller Cap. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

Corey

P.S. as I have heard on the 12 volt site Im going to do the "big 3" I hope that will help, but Im skeptical since I have done many Installs and never had to resort to that. And Im looking into converting my 4 gauge into 1/0 Gauge.

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

definately do the big 3 and that 75 amp alt prolly Really aint helpin ya.

3. snwbrdrxtreme

snwbrdrxtreme New Member

Yea I had to replace the stock one due to it puking on me and didnt have the $300 to do the 220a upgrade.. But everyone seems to believe the Big 3 is the real deal! Thanks =)

Corey

4. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

what kind of 4 gauge wire do you have?? i know that 1000bd needs a 4 gauge wire alone.