16v batt question

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by connerray2010, Mar 10, 2011.

1. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

if i were to put a 16 volt battrey in my car, what would happen to the 12volt components (like cig lighter, hu, radar detector, and any thing els that runs off 12v)

2. steve

steve Full Member

DON'T !!!! it will fry your cars electrical including the cars computer along with a very good chance of catching the car on fire.

3. connerray2010

How do you go about putting a 16v batt in then?

4. connerray2010

This is all out of curiosity lol. I don't have a 16v batt nor the money to buy on lol

5. steve

steve Full Member

The car's electrical is a 12v system, the alternator is about 13.8v. the reason for this is
    the voltage has to be higher than the batteries in order to charge it, however the alt's
    diode rectifier circuit is what keeps the alt's output voltage in check ( 13.8-14.4). Long
    story short, if you want to use a 16 volt battery it cannot be hooked to you're cars
    electrical system. it (the car)simply is not designed to handle that high of voltage. Why
    do you want to run a 16v batt anyway? just wondering

6. connerray2010

Why a 16v batt? Cause my amp has up to 16v input lol. And I seen some for sale and it got me to thinkin.
    So in order to put a 16v batt in is to have a second alt with 16v output (17-18v output) and a 16v batt running off that alt and my amp running off that batt
    And the car running off stock alt/batt separately?

7. steve

steve Full Member

yep, or just run the battery to the amp. believe it or not, alot of amp companies run
    there amps to 18-19v and take readings (right before they fry)and pass the B.S specs
    off to the consumer

8. liftedranger08

liftedranger08 Full Member

You have to get a secondary alt that is 16volts. Let the 12 volt alt run the components in the car, and the 16 volt alt run the amps and 16 volt batteries.

9. connerray2010

Sounds expensive lol. Thanks guys. I love learnin new stuff

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

this^^

i have two 16 volt batts in my truck, altho i only use the 12v side. last time i checked the 16v side would sit at 16~17 while the engine was running, but it needs to charge a bit higher.

i know 3 guys that run 16 volt setups.